taleman
Newly Registered

Growing Lavender

I'm pretty new to hydroponics. Only Grown Basil and Catnip so far. I wanted to try growing some lavender. Does anyone have experience growing it? I've heard it needs to be well drained and not sit in water. So far I've only used a wick system which eventually turns into the Kratky method. So if it can't sit in water I guess thats out of the question. It also seems like that would mean I can't use a deep water culture.Am I basically gonna have to use ebb and flow or aeroponics to grow lavender? Or am I just wrong about everything.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome! Where are you located? Are you growing indoors or outside? If indoors, do you have adequate lighting set up? Are you talking about growing from seed or already started plants?

I think you are right about lavender not tolerating sitting in water and that the only thing that would work is ebb and flow. I found this: "Lavender needs less moisture while wintering indoors than it did out in the garden. Make sure its roots are dry to their very ends before watering. Rather than water, flood lavender with light." That wasn't talking about hydro, but it gives the idea of what we are talking about.

imafan26
Mod

lavender can be grown hydroponically. I was surprised to learn this. Interesting.
I would think aeroponics would be better than kratky for this. Mainly because the roots would be exposed to more air with an aero tower, rather than constantly submerged like in Kratky. Although the plants will produce water roots that should tolerate it. As an experiment you can try to water root some cuttings of lavender if it works then Kratky should work too.

Lavender likes a lot of sun if you are growing this indoors I don't know if you can get enough light for it. Basil and Catnip will tolerate less light.

taleman
Newly Registered

Thanks, both. This basically confirms what I thought. Seems like ebb and flow or aeroponics are the best choice. I have considered putting growstones (or something else) at the of some mason jars that I use for my wick system. Hopefully this will prevent the roots from reaching the water/nutrient solution and becoming a kratky system. Anyone think that would work. or would the roots find thier way to the water.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”