smalltownguy
Newly Registered

Dealing with power loss in aeroponics?

I've done a fair amount of research and hope to soon start with aeroponics in a relatively small way. I've learned that one of the major concerns is to have a power loss. As I understand it, if the roots are not exposed to any moisture for any short period of time will kill the plants.

I believe I have a way where with a power loss I can easily soon flood the reservoir with water to cover the roots. My question is if this would damage those plants that had not earlier been immersed? And, does anyone have any idea how long I could let the plants set in water without aeration?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

There are battery operated air pumps, so that you can keep the water from stagnating with an air stone. And maybe you could just use a spray bottle once an hour, to keep the roots moist? Not sure of the setup, but the spray from the air stone may keep the air moist enough, since it is well sealed, I'm sure.

smalltownguy
Newly Registered

Thanks for the input.

Another thought I've had is to run a line from my reservoir drain fitting to inlet of a hand transfer pump and then run the discharge line through the reservoir wall into a tees after the pump. That way I can hand pump through my jets and not even have to open the unit. May need to put a check valve after the pump to stop fluid from moving back through the pump instead of through the nozzles.

Allyn
Green Thumb

How much does the unit draw that has to keep operating? Could you get a battery backup like they sell for computer systems to keep your system going when the power is out? You can get a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) at places that sell electronics and they're not terribly expensive.

imafan26
Mod

I depends on how big the system is. You can get a styrofoam board (actually 2 boards glued together) Drill holes in the board to fit the net pots. Float the board in a tub like a raft and the lettuce root s will stay wet on the bottom but there should be and inch or so in the board for air roots. Otherwise you will be spending all your time with a watering can pourting water over the roots every few minutes.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”