aatluizpaulo
Newly Registered

Water level on Ebb Flow (flood 'n drain)

Hi there,

I am trying to build an ebb flow system and I have a doubt about how high should be my drain tube. I've reading some web informatio but it seems not the same. Some sites tell me to raise untill the top of media and some to stay bellow the media around 1 to 2 inches.

Could you guys give me a clue?

Thanks in advance

imafan26
Mod

We like the water to come close to the surface but not enough to puddle. Plants need air roots and air roots need air. 1/2 inch from the top would be good. There is some wicking but when you plant seedlings it is best that at least the bottom of the seedling be able to touch the water.

aatluizpaulo
Newly Registered

Thanks for fast answer imafan26 !

Anybody else can contribute to this discussion?

thanks

Kangaroo1943

I agree that roots need air so I always allow the nutrient solution to be about 1/2 inch below the medium if you allow to cover the medium.
1. it will suffocate the roots depleting it of oxygen.
2. over a period of time the salts will build up on the surface of the medium with a white crusty appearance which when flooded again will ultimately increase the salt levels.

hybridhydro
Newly Registered

agreed 1/2" Is good(2 spacers for me). You could also add some air stone's into the mix as well. You could also use a 24/hour timer to add more automation to the process. I use the combination of these to achieve great results. I have my timer set to 15min's. 15 filled..15 drained.. over and over and over.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”