Ravenxzc
Newly Registered

Assistance Required With Deep Flow Technique

Hi Guys,

I have been experiencing a few problems lately with my Deep Flow Technique System. Recently, there have been mosquitoes breeding within the system. Furthermore the plants are not growing well. The atmospheric temperature frequently fluctuates above 30 °C. The temperatures of the nutrient solutions fluctuate between the range 27 to 31 °C. Furthermore, the DFT system has UV lights. I have read that UV lights destroy micro-nutrients.

Can anyone help answer these questions:
1) How do you stop mosquitoes from breeding within the DFT system?
2) Should UV lights be switched on or off in a nutrient solution that circulates?

Thank you everyone.

imafan26
Mod

I am sorry but you have to explaing the system more. I never heard of it. If you have running water, mosquitoes should not be a problem. If this is a stagnant system. You could probably use bt it is only harmful to the mosquitoes.

Kangaroo1943

Is this an Ebb and Flow system? if so I don't see how mosquitoes get into your nutrient tank unless it is open and not completely sealed. I have never had this problem. Correction I had this problem once when I was using an old fish tank which was clear glass and had open ends, only then did I get mosquitoes and a stinking nutrient mix that was open to sunlight and mosquitoes who wanted a new home.
All my nutrient tanks are black and completely sealed with no problems.
PS I grow outdoors which is open to all these pests, and today it was 37C in sub tropical weather.
A photo would help to identify your problem and then suggestions can be made to alleviate this problem in the future

imafan26
Mod

There should not be a mosquito problem if your system is moving and covered. If it is an ebb and flow system your cycle may be too long or the water is not draining properly. The water should come within a 1/4 inch of the top of the grow bed but should drain very fast and slowly refill. Those systems clog over time and have to be cleaned out. If your plant roots are sitting in water all of the time they won't grow well. They will be yellow and stunted. If you have water on the surface that is not draining or moving well, then you will have mosquitoes.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”