Stourme

Here's part of a better hydro design that's leak free

I'm building a new outdoor hydro system for this spring. My old design was based around drilling a hole in each bucket, inserting a grommet in to the hole, then forcing a pvc pipe through the hole. This would make up the drain for each bucket. If you've ever done this, you know the pain.

I put some thought into it and created a better design and I want to share some of it with you.

First, I went to my local home improvement store and picked up these two items to start. On the right is a 1/2 inch drip line connector. On the left is a 1/2 inch threaded electrical connector. The pvc version of this item will not work.
The drip line connector has a 1/2 inch spur on one side and a 1/2 inch threaded male connector on the other.

I used a 3/4 inch bit and drilled a hole in my buckets. The outside of the connector is 3/4 inch. This will screw right into a 3/4 inch hole.

Just screwing it into the hole makes a pretty tight seal, but I wanted to be sure.

From the electrical section I picked up a pack of #213 O rings. I put one on the male connector inside the bucket.

Then I screwed the 1/2 inch electrical connector on to the drip line connector.

This locks down the connectors and there are no leaks.

This method also works on the drain pipe.

With a connector in the bucket and a connector in the drain pipe, I connect the two with 1/2 plastic drip pipe.

I just need to push the pipe all the way on to the spurs and it will be ready to go and leak free drainage.

I'm also using this method to connect my drain pipe to the reservoir tank and from the pump to the tank and the tank to the buckets. Basically I'm putting a 1/2 connector into the top of my tank, connecting 1/2 plastic drip pipe from the pump to the connector and then on the outside of the tank 1/2 drip pipe from the tank to the buckets. No open holes.

The drain pipe is 4". I'm putting a reducer on the end of the 4" pipe. Taking it from a 4" pipe to a 2" pipe, then connecting the 2" to the tank with pvc connectors. This will make it so I don't have any open holes in the water tank.

I decided to get a good reservoir this time around and I found it here:

https://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=125

45 gallon, flat bottom water tank. I got it delivered yesterday and it's a really good quality water tank. Thick plastic and sturdy.

I'm ready to go for spring! :)

-Stourme

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”