imafan26
Mod

Kratky method for growing tomatoes

I was searching for mosquito control and found this article on growing tomatoes using the Kratky method. Kratky was developed in Hawaii using a non-circulating hydroponic system. It works well for lettuce but this paper was a study on how they grew tomatoes in a static system. I thought it would be of interest to the people who want to try it.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaii/down ... matoes.pdf

Kangaroo1943

From growing tomatoes in my drip system, ebb and flow and my DWC I know that tomatoes can drain a 20 litre bucket in about 3/4 days. With the Kratky method I usually grow my lettuce etc fill it up and allow all the nutrients to be taken up.
If any plants are not ready I try to add some new solution to the same EC and PH that was there at the completion of the original nutrients.
Possibly the same can be done with tomatoes.

imafan26
Mod

I used the Kratky method to grow lettuce in a 2 liter pop bottle. It worked pretty well. I did not have to change the solution, but did have to add some water since it evaporated faster than I liked.

I have grown tomatoes in self watering containers and when they are full grown and in production they drain almost all of the 5 gallon reservoir every day. Balancing pH and getting the right recipe for the nutrients was not a problem since I could use regular fertilizer and potting soil in the pot.

Kangaroo1943

[urlImage][/url]]Thanks imafan26 we have something in common including our weather.
I am growing my lettuce in a poly styrene box and using the cut down lid as a floating raft using the Kratky method in a perlite medium successfully.
Photo of my dragon fruit just flowered.

imafan26
Mod

Nice. Our seasons are different, dragon fruit flowers later in summer. They like to be on a slope or fence. Mine keeps trying to climb the fence. I just made some cuttings to make more of them.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”