harrinj
Newly Registered

Spent Nutrients

Just starting my first run at leafy greens in an NFT system. I plan to exchange my nutrient bath every 10 days or so, and was wondering what you more experienced folks do with your spent nutrients? Can I pour it over my wife's outdoor soil garden? Can it be used on the front lawn (ie: will it harm the grass?). Although I'm not worried about the cost, it seems wasteful to just pour it down the drain.

Just for info, I recall reading that hydroponics plants absorb the nutrients they want / need, and leave the rest. Wouldn't that be true of any plant if poured in the ground? :D

I'd appreciate any input on this....

J.D.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

While I'm no expert, I've been growing in deepwater for a number of years, and have also been growing just leafy greens and herbs, which are very easy to grow. I rarely change my medium - I'm of the opinion that this is unnecessary, and was a rumor started by the companies selling the stuff! Occasionally I'll remove some, and pour it on some areas in my garden, but usually I am doing that when the garden is hibernating. I wouldn't do it in the off season, as it would get into the

water table, which it actually does

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

While I'm no expert, I've been growing in deepwater for a number of years, and have also been growing just leafy greens and herbs, which are very easy to grow. I rarely change my medium - I'm of the opinion that this is unnecessary, and was a rumor started by the companies selling the stuff! Occasionally I'll remove some, and pour it on some areas in my potted plants, but rarely in my garden, as it would get into the water table that way. Eventually, this happens when it is flushed down the sink.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”