HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

growing wheat grass hydroponically

I'm thinking about growing wheat grass. I do not have any experience with hrdroponics, but read that it is a good way to griw wheat grass. Does anybody here have experience growing wheat grass hydroponically? I don't know where to start, except for a YouTube how-to video. I want to start small, just enough for me and my bird. My bird loves wheat grass and it is expensive to buy it for him because it dies before he has a chance to eat it all.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Since you are only growing for your bird and yourself, it seems that it would be easier and cheaper to grow it in trays. If you used an 8x8" tray (with drainage holes) then you would soak 1/2 cup of wheat seed in distilled or filtered water for 10 hours, drain. Repeat 3 times, at that point you should see little tails coming out from the seeds. plant shallowly in seed starting mix, water well and cover the tray with plastic wrap to keep moister in. Water well everyday until it starts to look like little grass. Take plastic off and grow in indirect light until it is the size you want it to be. Water well, but don't over water. When it is big enough start cutting some of it off with a scissors. When you need to start another tray.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am not familiar with seed starting mix. Is there a particular brand or product that works best?
Thank you Beary much.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I messed with some similar to CB. I soaked the seeds. Then used a small plastic (4 x 5ish) container (the one mushrooms are packed in), holes punched in bottom. As I recall, just used miracle grow or whatever I had on hand. Depending on how hungry you and the bird are, could use a couple of small containers like this, and keep rotating for fresh supply.

On a side note, wasn't messing with this any more, and was cleaning out an area of kitchen. Chucked the seeds from the bag in the enriched dirt aka compost pile. I had forgotten about that, and a few days later saw a patch of grass growing there! Hopefully the regular birds in yard are enjoying a green fix.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I might try growing some grass outside for my bird. I was thinking more along the lines of grasses that are native to Australia, because my bird is an Australian breed. I did some research a while ago, and I even found a seed source, but that's as far as I got. I like the idea of growing wheat grass indoors because I don't care for weeds, and I know there will be weeds to contend with for anything grown outdoors. I picked some wild grass from the yard for my bird but he didn't eat it. He loves wheat grass in the trays, like what the health food store sells. I bought some wheat grass seeds, and now I have good instructions, so I should have some fresh wheat grass growing soon.

applestar
Mod

This isn't hydroponic, but I thought this was a good video tutorial.

[youtuDOTbe]https://youtu.be/0WUX2kn3Qrc[/youtuDOTbe]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/0WUX2kn3Qrc[/youtube]
(Video doesn't seem to show up atm. Will find out about that.)

I've thought about growing wheatgrass for juicing,mbut I would have to find a location that is protected from our kitties since they think anything that looks like grass is for eating and retching to aid in hairball removal. (They have already tried the rough and coarse lemongrass, intensely aromatic ginger "grass", prostrate thyme -- which is not even close.)

Because sprouted seeds mold and spoil easily, I only grow them during the coldest late fall to early spring months when temperatures in the house is low 70's at most.

Most sprouting seed sources also sell spongy "blanket" which is made of thin coir/synthetic that can be used as moisture retaining growing surface. They are sold cut to popular size including the half trays shown in the video or in a roll that you cut yourself. I suppose that could be used for "hydroponic" -- aka soilless -- growing by simply dunking the tray several times a day or pumping water/solution on a timer in ebb-drain (is that the right term) set up.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thanks

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”