Tabasco

Is My Seedling Ready For Hydro System?

My seedlings are about 6 inches tall and have some roots growing out of the rock wool.

(I am not planting the net pot, just using it to keep some separate rock wools upright in the pan.)

Are these guys ready for planting in a dutch bucket?

It's going to be outside so I am assuming I should start by hardening them off?
Attachments
SANY0057.JPG

Tabasco

I was planning on putting them in solo cups of perlite during the hardening process.
Sound right?

imafan26
Mod

I don't know what kind of system you have built. I have been working with and ebb and flow system. I'm still learning about it myself. The tomato seedlings are grown in oasis plugs until they have true leaves and the roots protrude. Your seedling is right for transplanting.

The seedlings are transplanted into 15 gallon pots. Our pots use cinder but you can also use hydroton, large perlite should work. The pot sits on PVC pipes on a tray that collects the water and drains back to the reservoir. A pump pumps the water from the reservoir to PVC pipe system that sits on top of the row of pots and has holes drilled in them to water each pot. The problems are that algae does build up and clog the pipe so you need a threaded end cap so you can clean out the pipes once in a while. Roots, aglae and weeds will grow out of the pot and impede flow in the drain tray so that needs to be cleaned as well. Algae will also clog the pump filter, so that should be cleaned weekly. The reservoir is underground and under shade to keep the water cooler.

You can also use a dutch bucket system which works fine. You still need to block light to make reduce algae growth and it still will require some maintenance. You will need to be more careful especially with perlite that it does not get into the pump system since it will be more difficult to clean when it gets clogged.

Tabasco

Thanks!

I'll show how I have all of those contingencies covered soon.

How about the hardening off?

YoYoDro
Newly Registered

Looks ready to me!

Tabasco

I hardened off them for 5 days and put em' in the 24th of August.
Here's couple today, September 7th, 2 weeks...
Attachments
SANY0006.JPG

imafan26
Mod

looking good. I would move the buckets apart more to give them more air circulation. If you are going to trellis them to a line or stake you will also need to prune the lower leaves and suckers.
Last edited by imafan26 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tabasco

Sadly, there is no more room.
I'm doing a single stem, you can see the first tomato clip on the one on the left.
Weird, but no suckers yet, not a single one on four plants.

imafan26
Mod

Is you tomato a determinate variety. It may be why there aren't too many suckers. Determinate tomatoes would not be pruned. Indeterminate will need to be pruned. The plants are young yet, if they are indeterminate, then the suckers will come out.

Tabasco

Indeterminate.
I thought they were Big Beef, but they're Beefsteak.
I'm sure they'll get suckers before long.
I'm going to keep them single stem for the obvious reason.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”