adelegypt
Cool Member

Re: my home made hydroponic system

adelegypt wrote:Other photo

This photo shows the rapid growth of roselle

imafan26
Mod

It looks great. What is your solution made of and how often do you have to change it? Are you not concerned about using oil containers instead of food grade containers?
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

adelegypt
Cool Member

imafan26 wrote:It looks great.
Thank you
What is your solution made of and how often do you have to change it?
It is mainly a water extract of home made compost its colour is deep brown also i use chemicals 0.5 gm of ammonim nitrate+0.5 gm potassium sulphat + 0.5 ml of phosphoric acid (sometimes i may add 0.5 gm of urea) for every 1:1.5 liter of water
Till now (5 month) I don't chang the solution.
Are you not concerned about using oil containers instead of food grade containers?
I agree with you , PVC pipes is also harmfull, every things here(Egypt) are polluted.

YoYoDro
Newly Registered

I love seeing all these DIY setups! So inventive haha! I found out a way to cheaply automate most of these systems for pretty cheap, considering it cuts your workload in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcWM81CB66A

adelegypt
Cool Member

YoYoDro wrote:I love seeing all these DIY setups! So inventive haha! I found out a way to cheaply automate most of these systems for pretty cheap, considering it cuts your workload in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcWM81CB66A
Thank you for help.
I`m living in Egypt and hydroponic isnt known thing i`d like to encourage people to green their roof by simple methods

bghayad
Newly Registered

Hello;

I am noticing in this post the someone is talking about okra plant. I need some help: Can I know how much the plant product a fruit within its life "during the season"? Actually I am looking for plant yield weight if possible.
Also I appreciate if someone can guide me to link that mention study or statistics about okra plant yield weight.

Appreciate the kindly help.
Regards
Bilal

adelegypt
Cool Member

I did not do any study but the plant may yields 0.5-1 Kg/life.

adelegypt
Cool Member

Finally bloomed hibiscus tree ( roselle )that flowers are the source of the BREW thanks to Professor Nasr Akil who gave me the seeds and I was afraid because i cultivated it in the very late time.

JC's Garden

Looks good. You did a good job with them.

adelegypt
Cool Member

Thank you , we make a drink from this flower it decrease hypertensive blood pressure.

adelegypt
Cool Member

Picture of tree Roselle planted on a bottle of carbonated water capacity 2 liters note it is longer than my son and this is because of the strongly rooted in hydroponic system so that the system can grow a larg plant in a pot ,look to the red fruit that is the source of the medicinal drink.

JC's Garden

It's bigger than both of you. :shock:
I have high blood pressure. I think I will try growing Roselle.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grew roselle one year. Grown in the ground, it gets huge, turns in to a shrub, tall and wide and bushy. The part you use for the tea or whatever is just the calyxes of the flowers. To me with my city garden, it took up a lot of space for very little reward. But it is easy and did produce a lot of flowers, well in to fall.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

adelegypt
Cool Member

JC's Garden wrote:It's bigger than both of you. :shock:
I have high blood pressure. I think I will try growing Roselle.
Both are my sons i`m 59 yrs , Rosselle is easy to grow
Thank you

adelegypt
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:I grew roselle one year. Grown in the ground, it gets huge, turns in to a shrub, tall and wide and bushy. The part you use for the tea or whatever is just the calyxes of the flowers. To me with my city garden, it took up a lot of space for very little reward. But it is easy and did produce a lot of flowers, well in to fall.

Thank you for your comment.

This plant grows rapidly and resists many things like high temperature of nutrient solution, pests, birds..........

adelegypt
Cool Member

I don't know if these cabbages will give large growing as that of the land growing

applestar
Mod

Hmm... I think cabbages will need much bigger root space and more water. The outer leaves actually get to be at least 24 inches across and those are the small headed varieties. Larger headed ones will get to be 3 feet across or more.

But even if not and they don't form heads, you COULD harvest the individual leaves like lettuce and chard as they grow. You may want to do that with some of them and experiment with the others to see if they can grow bigger in these and bigger containers (like bucket-size).
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

adelegypt
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Hmm... I think cabbages will need much bigger root space and more water. The outer leaves actually get to be at least 24 inches across and those are the small headed varieties. Larger headed ones will get to be 3 feet across or more.

But even if not and they don't form heads, you COULD harvest the individual leaves like lettuce and chard as they grow. You may want to do that with some of them and experiment with the others to see if they can grow bigger in these and bigger containers (like bucket-size).
I think so , but the 2 liter container has holes to give the roots a chance to go outside the container... In Egypt we cook the inner leafs (white) by filling it with rice +tomato+onion the leaf encircle this mixture like sausage we don't consume the outer green leafs.
I don't know how you consume cabbages

Thank you for your comment .

adelegypt
Cool Member

It is 50 days old, is there a hope in success

adelegypt
Cool Member

the same photo after one month

imafan26
Mod

It looks great, better than any head cabbage I have attempted. At that age for me the leaves would b e full of holes from the slugs, snails, and cabbage worms eating them. My one and only head cabbage grew to be about 3 inches in diameter and half of it was a big hole from something eating it.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

adelegypt
Cool Member

imafan26 wrote:It looks great, better than any head cabbage I have attempted. At that age for me the leaves would b e full of holes from the slugs, snails, and cabbage worms eating them. My one and only head cabbage grew to be about 3 inches in diameter and half of it was a big hole from something eating it.
Thank you very much.
Did you grow cabbage in hydroponic system , i`d like you to attach a photo if possible . How do you consume cabbages, we Egyptians cook the inner leafs with rice ,onion and tomato

applestar
Mod

Looking good! Isn't it such a wonderful feeling to harvest real food from your own garden? :D
I guess you are already thinking about what and how to grow next :wink:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

adelegypt
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Looking good! Isn't it such a wonderful feeling to harvest real food from your own garden? :D
I guess you are already thinking about what and how to grow next :wink:
Sure

adelegypt
Cool Member

I`m growing beans some of it yield much but most of it give little, i don't know the cause

adelegypt
Cool Member

My tomato is usually small in size

adelegypt
Cool Member

I made an extension to my set up "it is 4 meters away from the original one" to grow lettuce and watercress, i used pump of washing machine to drain the new extension.

adelegypt
Cool Member

A photo of washing machine pump"9 watt" that is used to drain the extension

JC's Garden

Adel, I always enjoy seeing your post. My wife calls me the "Repurpose King" but you may be better than me. :)
I love how you find a way to make things work. Well done.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wonderful set up!

Re small tomatoes .. part of tomato size is genetically programmed, some varieties are just smaller than others. Of course, there are grape and cherry and "saladette" tomatoes, but even amongst full size tomatoes there is a wide variation in size.

e.g. bush goliath produces 3-4" tomatoes, celebrity hybrid averages 7 oz, beefy boy hybrid tomatoes are 12-16 oz, beefsteak/ red ponderosa is said to produce 2 pound tomatoes, and big zac to produce 4 pound tomatoes!

So to start with you need to grow a variety that is genetically programmed to produce large tomatoes.

But then doing hydro, you have to supply all the nutrients and tomatoes are heavy feeders, especially to produce large tomatoes, so you need to have the nutrients right, with different nutrient combination at different points in their life cycle.

https://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsh ... rition.pdf

https://www.yara.us/agriculture/crops/to ... l-summary/
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

adelegypt
Cool Member

JC's Garden wrote:Adel, I always enjoy seeing your post. My wife calls me the "Repurpose King" but you may be better than me. :)
I love how you find a way to make things work. Well done.
Thank you.
Do you how much"usd" of this new group:
12 larg 20 L bottles = 6
40 small 2 L bottles = 1.5
connections and tubes = 1.5
Washing machine pump = 4.5
All are 13.5 usd for 65 openings of growing

adelegypt
Cool Member

rainbowgardener wrote:wonderful set up!
Thank you

Re small tomatoes .. part of tomato size is genetically programmed, some varieties are just smaller than others. Of course, there are grape and cherry and "saladette" tomatoes, but even amongst full size tomatoes there is a wide variation in size.

e.g. bush goliath produces 3-4" tomatoes, celebrity hybrid averages 7 oz, beefy boy hybrid tomatoes are 12-16 oz, beefsteak/ red ponderosa is said to produce 2 pound tomatoes, and big zac to produce 4 pound tomatoes!

So to start with you need to grow a variety that is genetically programmed to produce large tomatoes.

But then doing hydro, you have to supply all the nutrients and tomatoes are heavy feeders, especially to produce large tomatoes, so you need to have the nutrients right, with different nutrient combination at different points in their life cycle.

https://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsh ... rition.pdf

https://www.yara.us/agriculture/crops/to ... l-summary/
Thank you
My nutrient solution is mostly organic "extract of home-made compost" + supplement of amonium nitrate and phosphoric acid and sprayed potassium
Because i don't grow in a greenhouse ,does moisture of atmospher affects size of tomato?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

RE: does moisture of atmosphere (humidity) affects size of tomato?

No, I wouldn't think so. Humidity has a number of effects on tomato plants , most of them negative. Humid conditions favor fungal diseases that tomatoes are prone to. Humid conditions inside greenhouses, with not enough air movement also make pollination more difficult:

In addition, learn to use intermittent ventilation on
cool days to reduce moisture condensation inside the
house. The drier the foliage can be kept and the
more air movement in the greenhouse, the more
favorable the conditions for pollination.
Growers who have previously had low ventilation
capability have doubled their yields of spring
tomatoes in several situations when they replaced
old houses and increased their ventilation capability.
https://extension.tennessee.edu/publica ... pb1609.pdf

Doubling the yield here was from improved pollination leading to more tomato fruits set. It was not about the size of the tomatoes.

I expect more important than humidity is hours of direct sun:

Grow tomatoes in the sunniest, warmest part of your garden. Cherry tomatoes can get by on 5-6 hours of sun and still produce fruit, but larger tomatoes need 8-12 hours of sun a day for best performance. https://www.grow-it-organically.com/grow ... CqN3M.dpuf

adelegypt
Cool Member

Thank you Rainbow

adelegypt
Cool Member

2 photos for the roots of cabbage i made vertical cut in the 2nd photo

A deep photo of bean`s roots floating in n. solution.

JC's Garden

Good root development.

[/quote]All are 13.5 usd for 65 openings of growing[/b][/quote]

Not bad. :)

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Wow! Could you re-post these in the topic Homemade Hydroponic Systems in the format required? Thanks! I don't know much about hydroponics but I am very interested in Nutrient-less hydroponics.
When I wait 3 months for my mango seedling to sprout, and then it damps off.
:evil:

adelegypt
Cool Member

A Happy Seedling wrote:Wow! Could you re-post these in the topic Homemade Hydroponic Systems in the format required? Thanks! I don't know much about hydroponics but I am very interested in Nutrient-less hydroponics.
What do you means by " Nutrient-less hydroponics. "?

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Hydroponics without nutrient solution, e.g. using only water.
When I wait 3 months for my mango seedling to sprout, and then it damps off.
:evil:

adelegypt
Cool Member

A Happy Seedling wrote:Hydroponics without nutrient solution, e.g. using only water.
Do you mean organic growing.

This black 20 L bottle contain a permeable pack filled with compost, the white hose in the upper right "inlet"supply water to the set up by continuous dripping that extract the nutrient from compost and go out to the set up through black pipe in the lower left"outlet"

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”