adelegypt
Cool Member

Re: my home made hydroponic system

Rairdog wrote:I see, the porous bag which filters out the particles of compost.

How long do you compost the scraps before going into the system?
Three months
Please list the NPK supplements you are adding. You mentioned: phosphoric acid, urea, amonium nitrate and sprayed potassium.
Now I soray NPK 18,18,18 every 2 weeks
K is potassium oxide
Phosphoric A, Am. N and urea less than one gm/L of all
I`d like to say that I depend on my sense

What form of potassium?
Do you check ph?
yes using special paper strips
Do worms occur there naturally in gardens? Here is an article I found. Maybe you could order from Australia if they are not found locally.
Can these worms live in n water

https://www.greenprophet.com/2011/01/egy ... vironment/

adelegypt
Cool Member

applestar wrote:
adelegypt wrote:A photo of washing machine pump"9 watt" that is used to drain the extension

I'm going to have to remember this as a possible salvage item next time my Washing Machine needs to be replaced.... Hmm... but then, I just remembered that both of the last two machines needed to be replaced BECAUSE the pump had stopped working, and DH didn't want to take them apart.... :?

Well, I guess I'll see what I can do next time. At least I wouldn't be afraid to get the pump out if I don't have to worry about putting the machine back together. :()

...I also recently read that the perforated tub might make a good planter.... 8)
:)

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Yes, the worms will live near water. I put them in my aquaponic(AP) beds and is a universally accepted practice. They don't like to be continuously under water and do much better with flood/drain or timed systems. If you have a separate bin to age the compost they would really help break it down and provide easier uptake for the plants. Compost that is 3 months old would have a lot of nutrients that weren't available for the plants IMO.

I was asking about the NPK supplements because they could be hard on the worms. It is usually safer to spray the leaves with PK supplements and keep most of it out of the system.

AP guys run into the same issues you seem to have with the vining/fruiting vegetables like watermelons, beans etc. They suck up all the N but have a hard time getting enough P&K and other micros when needed. Also, check out Mono Potassium Phosphate (MKP) which can be sprayed on leaves and maybe a source of seaweed extract (Seasol) to add directly into system for added micros and iron.

Haifa should be available there. Here is some nute deficiency reading for you.
https://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge_ce ... nutrition/
https://www.haifa-group.com/products/pla ... haifa_mkp/

adelegypt
Cool Member

Rairdog wrote:Yes, the worms will live near water. I put them in my aquaponic(AP) beds and is a universally accepted practice. They don't like to be continuously under water and do much better with flood/drain or timed systems. If you have a separate bin to age the compost they would really help break it down and provide easier uptake for the plants. Compost that is 3 months old would have a lot of nutrients that weren't available for the plants IMO.

Do you mean that I should old it more?
Thank you

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Do you mean that I should old(age :) ) it more?

It depends on how you are making compost. Compost is usually aged 6 months minimum but can be done faster with tumblers. It needs to get very hot to speed up the process. Worms or black soldier flies can do it in 3 months or less.

adelegypt
Cool Member

Rairdog wrote:Do you mean that I should old(age :) ) it more?

It depends on how you are making compost. Compost is usually aged 6 months minimum but can be done faster with tumblers. It needs to get very hot to speed up the process. Worms or black soldier flies can do it in 3 months or less.
I mix it with manure of birds and rabbits.

adelegypt
Cool Member

Rairdog wrote:Yes, the worms will live near water. I put them in my aquaponic(AP) beds and is a universally accepted practice. They don't like to be continuously under water and do much better with flood/drain or timed systems. If you have a separate bin to age the compost they would really help break it down and provide easier uptake for the plants. Compost that is 3 months old would have a lot of nutrients that weren't available for the plants IMO.

I was asking about the NPK supplements because they could be hard on the worms. It is usually safer to spray the leaves with PK supplements and keep most of it out of the system.

AP guys run into the same issues you seem to have with the vining/fruiting vegetables like watermelons, beans etc. They suck up all the N but have a hard time getting enough P&K and other micros when needed. Also, check out Mono Potassium Phosphate (MKP) which can be sprayed on leaves and maybe a source of seaweed extract (Seasol) to add directly into system for added micros and iron.

Now I use earthworm to accelerate composting , thank you for advice

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I think you will like the addition of worm. Does your compost container have holes in the bottom? You don't want a build up of wet worm poop trapped in the bottom. The liquid that drains out will make great plant food and help with pest control.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Wow! How did you get that many worms?? I want to try it too, lol.

adelegypt
Cool Member

Rairdog wrote:I think you will like the addition of worm. Does your compost container have holes in the bottom? You don't want a build up of wet worm poop trapped in the bottom. The liquid that drains out will make great plant food and help with pest control.
yes, the container contain holes
Also I added about 5 worms /pot in 12 pots of tomato as a trial.
How worms control pests

adelegypt
Cool Member

A Happy Seedling wrote:Wow! How did you get that many worms?? I want to try it too, lol.

adelegypt
Cool Member

adelegypt wrote:
A Happy Seedling wrote:Wow! How did you get that many worms?? I want to try it too, lol.
from fishing store.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Oh, ok. I guess I can dig them up myself...

adelegypt
Cool Member

ِA trial to grow Moringa tree in my set up.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Wow. I don't even know what a Moringa tree is.

adelegypt
Cool Member

A Happy Seedling wrote:Wow. I don't even know what a Moringa tree is.

Moringa tree is:

https://www.google.com.eg/url?sa=t&rct= ... 1109,d.bGQ

Mark Reese
Newly Registered

How is the Moringa tree doing in your set up? Would love an update? Also, did you germinate the seeds and then move them into the system?

adelegypt
Cool Member

Unfortunately my Moringa trees are greatly damaged by cold weather. I grew it from seeds directly in the system

JC's Garden

Hello old friend. How are the Moringa trees doing? Have things gotten any better.
Hope you are doing well.

adelegypt
Cool Member

JC's Garden wrote:Hello old friend. How are the Moringa trees doing? Have things gotten any better.
Hope you are doing well.
Thank you very much.
Moriga trees is greatly affected by cold weather

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”