plzhelp
Newly Registered

uninteruptable power supply (ups)

I just realized I need a ups
id like to get one that could run for 24 hours, but I don't know if they make them with batteries that large
the websites of toshiba and the other companys are not very helpful
I need to run my 600w lamp, small air pump, small water pump, and small exhaust fan for 24 hours
probably adds up to less than 700w total
so the stats on my ups need to be at least:
wattage: 700w
battery: 17kwh or 60 mega joules
does anyone know anything about ups?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Sounds to me like you need a small, perhaps 1000W generator. I just did a quick Google check, and a 900W Trip Lite ($160) will only run at max for 90 minutes. That means at 10% max power (90W) it would run 10x or 900 minutes which is 15 hours. As you see, to run 700 watts for 24 hours would require a fairly expensive UPS, probably of a commercial size which costs thousands of dollars.

grrlgeek

I second the generator solution. A UPS is only going to provide the juice that you can store in the battery. Even the specs on runtimes are "perfect world" scenarios, and until you're spending upwards of $40K, you can never expect it to be exact. Always add at least 10% to your needed capacity.

Here is a great resource on runtimes based on load from APC, a leading manufacturer of UPS equipment:

https://www.apc.com/products/runtime_for ... family=165

I didn't look at everything, but you can draw your conclusions pretty quickly. One that would work for you is this model: https://www.apc.com/products/resource/in ... 9SUA48XLBP

A mere $8265.00, but that's only the price of the base unit. You'll need to piggy back an additional ten batteries to get that much capacity.

Good luck!

HydroDude

Yeah, I would also recommend a portable generator.

You really don't need a large one, but you need something.

Solar doesn't make sense, since you would need a bank of batteries and solar panels. All of that would be cost prohibitive.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”