Northernfox
Greener Thumb

LED vs . Compact fluorescent bulbs and power consumption

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but here I go. So I am gearing up for a winter growing project. I know your thinking but Stephen I is spring just grow outside! Well I need to save my change to invest in this system.

I have a question about the difference between LED grow lights and compact fluorescent grow lights. Which has the lowest power consumption ?

Right now I have my seedlings under two shop light ballasts , two growing light ballasts and one extra bulb. That set up has resulted in a 20$ increase to the power bill from this time last year.

I want to grow two pepper plants and develop them into bushes "the praxxus" method. So of led is cheaper on power it might be worth the investment to get the long term benefit

Thoughts and recommendations.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good you are thinking ahead.

Depending on who you read LED is anywhere from twice to five times as energy efficient as CFL and will last six times as long

https://www.designrecycleinc.com/led%20comp%20chart.html

They are considerably more expensive to buy at this point (I expect prices to come down as more people make the switch), but still more cost effective over the (very long) life of the bulb.

The question I have NOT seen much answer for to date is what the light is like for growing things, wavelengths, spectrum, etc. The light is more directional, less diffuse than fluorescents, which might mean you would need more bulbs to light the same area.

This

https://www.urbanorganicgardener.com/201 ... row-light/

says that LED lights have more blue red wavelengths and less green yellow, which would be a good thing. Plants look green to us because they reflect back the green wavelengths, don't use them.

LED lights also do not contain mercury, so are not a disposal hazard.

I am looking forward to switching over at some point. Hanging on to my old fluorescent tubes for awhile while I wait for the price to come down on LED's !

GrowersHouse
Newly Registered

As a quick note on top of what rainbowgardener said, we've noticed in our store that plant output is very, very strongly correlated with wattage, almost no matter the grow light type. We've grown with HPS, MH, CFL, T5, Induction, and LED. You see slight improvements in efficiency when using Induction & LED grow lights as far as fruit/flower production per wattage input, but don't expect 300 watts of LED to produce what a 600w alternative grow light would (as many LED companies like to market "Double your yields"), maybe expect 300 watts of LED to produce the equivalent of what 350 to 400 watts would, all other variables (temp, nutrient concentration, humidity, etc...) held constant.

So although you will save on energy costs in switching from your 200w CFL to a 100w LED, you should also expect to yield less, is what I'm getting at. Other than that, good luck!

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Thank you! Ill keep you up to speed this upcoming winter :)

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”