Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Coir/perlite for hydroponics

An easy method of hydroponic gardening is to use a 50/50 mixture of coir and perlite. The media is sterile, so you provide and control the nutrients that the plants receive when you water them. I use a container with a reservoir on the bottom and tip the container to drain the excess liquid a few minutes after I have applied the nutrient solution. I have grown tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and melons using this method. The photo below is a Manzanillo olive tree I am container growing using coir and perlite. Those who prefer a more traditional method of gardening, but still would like to try hydroponics, might like to try this method.

Leeds78
Newly Registered

I'm using 100% cocopeat, but blooms are dying, is that because wet?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes. I saw your question before, but didn't really understand what you were doing. By attaching it to this you gave me context. Cocopeat is what I would call coconut coir? Anyway it is very moisture holding, not what you want.

The idea of what hydro is doing is to give his tree water and nutrients and then drain them out (notice he empties the reservoir, so that the water can drain and the tree roots won't stay wet). His 50-50 mix will probably stay a bit damp for awhile after watering. Your 100% peat will stay wet for a very long time.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”