Mosaic
Newly Registered

Hydroponic Controller

Hello All:

I am starting a project to create a complete hydroponic controller that is suitable for all levels of hydro/aeroponics.

The goal is to make it low cost (<$150) and effective for small (personal) to medium size hydroponics, but full featured.

Here is the feature list so far...please suggest anything you might like to see in it!

Size - about 4"x4"x2" deep
Display: 1/2" tall 4 digit 7 segment LED.
Interface: 2 button.

Sensors: pH, EC, Temp, Reservoir level, 'soil' moisture - for optional moisture based irrigation vs timer based.

Displays: pH, Temp, EC, 'soil' moisture, various setpoints/profiles, pump on/off time. Artificial light on/off time.

Output Drivers (120VAC , 15A) for:
pH up/down, EC up/down, Reservoir fill valve, Artificial light x 2 (Red/blue) , Temp. up or down.

System should store three editable 'profiles' [for easy selection] to select for the stage of plant growth and preset matching EC, pH,Temp, fertigation cycle and lighting.

Four single super bright LED 'alerts' for 1) Pump prob, 2) pH prob. 3) EC / Temp prob. 4) Reservoir Level prob.

EC/pH correction lockouts upon any of the 4 alerts going active.

Super bright LED 'heartbeat' visible @ 100' @ night once all parameters are good.

The intent is to have a controller that monitors all key parameter AND corrects them on the fly.

Lastly I'd want to include a PC/USB linkup to allow remote profile setup & selection as well as data logging.

I'd make it open source with a DIY type of kit for the hands on among us.

Please comment!

Halfway
Green Thumb

I have no input at this time other than to say....please keep us posted, this sounds fascinating!!

graememc
Newly Registered

Have a look at https://www.nftgroup.co.nz/hydroponics/p ... roller.php
That might give you some ideas.

Mosaic
Newly Registered

It's been a while but there's good news. :D

The controller is about done. It doesn't do dosing though. It runs the main irrigation pump cycle based on sensor data including EC, PH, Temp, Light,Reservoir Level, Pump overload, Root moisture. It can drive a fan for swamp cooling if the nute temps go higher than a setpoint.
Also it can drive a SSR for artificial 24hr light cycles including the Gas lantern Routine.
Can operate off a 12V 7Ah gel cel battery backup system for about 3 days runtime (incl. 12V pump) . No UPS required. Alternatively use a 12V -15V wall wart to run it.
Basically does all but dosing and heating. Has alerts for reservoir level, battery voltage, 12V pump probs, data link.

Extremely energy efficient :idea: - designed to use all 12V power/pump and consumes <12 Wh per day with a (root moisture) sensor based ebb & flow cycle , including the Pump power! Tested a 150 plant vertical hydro system for 6 months fully solar operated - 5W peak 12V panel. :mrgreen:

It can do a regular 'timed' cycle as well with a max pump runtime of 9.9 mins in 0.1min adjustable increments. The pump duty cycle period is as low as 15 mins or up to 9.75 hours. There is also a manual pump on/off trigger via pushbutton, useful for venting a reservoir.

Uses a 2 Digit 7 segment display (12 menu items) and a 2 button interface. Can calibrate for pH & EC sensor variability. Also data logs about 4 months of science - sensor data with an hourly sample for PC upload csv/Excel format.

Optional physical electronic key permits monitoring & operation without modifying parameters. Thus your configuration is Tamper proof! 8)

It fits a 4x2" PVC can! :!:

I'll do a 4 digit full version with dosing, heating /cooling nutrient control next. Prob a 4 x 4" PVC can unit. :arrow:

Anyhow I want to make the current version available to hydroponic folks. What do u think it's worth?

Highdroponic
Newly Registered

Sounds exciting! Growonix and Growbot has been doing these systems for a bit, you may want to look at what they offer.

As well, SmartBee has a similar system to what you've got about to hit the market. Most of the same functionality you mentioned above, along with remote, wireless access and control from an iPad App, and it will make those if/then decisions such as holding back irrigation should soil moisture be higher than your preset thresholds.

Keep us posted on your progress!

martizane
Newly Registered

I have made something it is a dream controller for hydroponic grower.

this video about ec calibration..

this one for tank level calibration...

old version

new one looks better.
Attachments
DSCF2426.JPG
DSCF2423.JPG
DSCF2421.JPG
ebaY ICIN.jpg

MasterCATZ
Newly Registered

I am planing on buying an opengrow system and building my own bots and using their software
thankfully they allow this option

whats parts would be required to build your hydroponic system to load it up with their software ?

your arduino device seems quite complete and cheap ..

gchiham
Newly Registered

What happen to the project ?

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”