applestar
Mod

Is SIP a variant of hydroponics? ==> container gardening?

I moved [url=https://helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=277135#277135]"Final Design of Mega SIP - help with Aeration - see Pics" thread[/url] from Container Growing Forum to Hydroponics Forum (under umbrella of "passive hydroponic" or "hydro culture") for now, but would like some input on the classification. Would the growing media be the deciding factor?
Last edited by applestar on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't think it is hydroponics. SIP stands for self-irrigating planter, which is also called self-watering, just the containers with water reservoir. The difference is that the plant roots are in soil, the wicks are just to pull water into the soil. In hydro, the plant roots are in water.

cbird02
Newly Registered

Correct...it is container.Plants are growing in soil mix 3-2-1 Potting Mix to Pine bark to perlite.

applestar
Mod

Well, my understanding is that SIP stands for Sub-irrigated Planter and some folks want to classify this as separate category from "old fashioned" self-watering. I have also seen similar design described as passive hydroponics or hydro culture but using non-soil media like expanded clay or expanded shale. while active hydroponics uses pumped and aerated system.

I have been looking into aquaponics as a possible new project, and have come across basically an ebb and flow system that operates by timer triggered pump that cycles once a day or every few days and waters plants in potting mixes.

So.... :?: :? :?:

cbird02
Newly Registered

everything that I have seen indicates sip=swc and other forums classify it under container.

cbird02
Newly Registered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub-irrigated_planter

cbird02
Newly Registered

Will you be moving topic to container garden? I think the other consideration is that it is mostly container gardeners that end up converting to SIP's, since you can convert most to SIP's and they are used to using soil vs Hydroton and other soiless media. There will probably just be more eyeballs on the subject of people that use them. Thx

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I have been looking into aquaponics as a possible new project, and have come across basically an ebb and flow system that operates by timer triggered pump that cycles once a day or every few days and waters plants in potting mixes.

So....
Will Allen "Growing Power" and you have seen my watering table. How is your idea different?

Eric

applestar
Mod

Cbird your SIP Thread has been moved back to Container Gardening forum as requested. However, I'd like to hear more members weigh in on the discussion in this thread. Especialy members who are active hydroponic system enthusiasts.

SIP -- Sub-irrigated Planters = Passive hydroponics or self-watered containers?

Is the growing media the deciding factor? Media bed vs. raft bed, they are both present in hydroponic systems.

What about when they are equipped with automated float-switch water intake or timer activated pumped and/or gravity-fed fertilized water supply, siphon or bell-siphon drained ebb-and-flow "systems"?

Eric, I had your ebb and flow bed in mind as well. Yours is even more complicated to pin down in a way since the setup is inside a Greenhouse ! :lol:

-- If you are asking for details of "my idea" they are still nothing more than vague sketches and undefined arrows pointing to different destinations. ...Pretty embarrassed to share since I haven't thought out the hows in the details.... :oops:

applestar
Mod

Recently, I was looking at Larry Hall's self watering raingutter system. It looks very do-able, even by someone like me.

Another one that captured my imagination was this one. I watched the entire sequence for the geodesic greenhouse build. It's much more your high level of craftsmanship, Eric.

albopepper

applestar wrote: SIP -- Sub-irrigated Planters = Passive hydroponics or self-watered containers?

Is the growing media the deciding factor? Media bed vs. raft bed, they are both present in hydroponic systems.
New to the forum here, so I'm a little late. But I wanted to chime in anyway.

An SIP is a planter that is watered, at least in part, from below the soil line. SIP is a description of the water delivery mechanism. Nothing more. It might or might not be used in tandem with hydroponics.

Hydroponics is unrelated. Hydroponic growing refers to the method for delivering nutrients, namely they are dissolved directly in the water. Any rooting medium would be completely inert and would serve as a structural mechanism only. Nutrients would not come from a soil product, but from the nutrient / water solution.

Soil based container growing is like eating your food orally & allowing your digestive system to process it. While hydroponic growing is like intravenous feeding.

HydroDude

There are similarities, but Hydroponics are typically grown in a soil-less medium. Self watering containers still rely on soil or potting mix in the planter.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”