tcorsonk
Newly Registered

Aeroponics in Hawaii - White fungus on tomatoes?

So I'm starting up a new aeroponics garden on my balcony in Kauai. It gets medium sun, not too much because there's a roof over top the balcony.

Having trouble with tomato and cucumber plants. These are some new tomato plants and they already have yellowing leaves and what looks like a white fungus. I'm 99% sure it's because of excess heat but wondering what else it might be.

Wasn't sure how to insert images so I uploaded them to my site here:

[img]https://www.tomcorsonknowles.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Tomato-Chlorosis.jpg[/img]

[img]https://www.tomcorsonknowles.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Tomato-chlorosis-2.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hard to tell. It could be powdery mildew. Also, in the second photo, there seems to be a pinch in the stem. A sign of damping off. Maybe

Eric

Halfway
Green Thumb

Hit it with copper and lower your nutrient cycle or increase oxygen if it's a deep water culture.

Have you tried those remedies?

Jponics
Newly Registered

Yeah unfortunately that is just something we have here in hawaii. It is typically found in soil based plants though. Are there soil tomatoes nearby? a neighbor or your own? Getting the source under control seems to help quite a bit. And also not growing tomatoes back to back if you have a continuing garden, though you said you just started your. I use neem on mine and it actually seems to work pretty well. It's also a good idea to remove any leaves affected. this would be tough with seedling like yours though. This fungus usually does not form until many weeks in. UH Manoa has created some fungus resistant strain you might try. You can find them online through the campus. Hope that helps.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”