leke
Cool Member

Renewable leafy green suitable for hydroponics.

Hi, I'm preparing for the winter and the start of my new hydroponics hobby. I've chosen DWC because it looks the easiest to begin with.

What leafy greens would you recommend for this? If possible, I would like something that I could pick'n'eat and have it rejuvenate itself for as long as possible before it went to seed.

Thanks.

fintuckyfarms

Any "salad" type greens do great in that kind of system including celery, cabbage and some mini carrots. I have even grown pumpkins in a rubbermaid 15 gallon tote. Also any "bush" type plants like beans and peas also do great as long as they are spaced out so the plants can breath. You could even try some bush or patio tomatoes (maybe only 2 to 4) in a large tote. Depending on your available space, just go for it. The MOST important element of this type of system will be the nute temperature. If your system is outside you can cool it down with some frozen 2 liter bottles put in in the early afternoon. ps. the pumpkins on my profille picture are the pumpkins I grew the DWC tote.

fintuckyfarms

So for your origional question, ANY lettuce or spinach works great in the system. I have seen several pictures and videos of a mixed lettuce DWC system. You just cut off the outside leaves and you should be able to harvest on each plant for 60 to 90 days depending on how many greens you eat. Make sure you have new seedlings ready to go to replace the older plants and stager them so that you are replacing only a row or half of the plants at one time for uninterrupted harvesting.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Mesclun blend and exotic lettuces do very well and feed for up to 3 months depending on temperature and the level of trimming.

I have had some amazing results with perpetual harvests of Black Seeded Simpson as well. Very nutritious and tasty.

Keep the temp down and allow a couple days between harvests. Use multiple stations or at leas a couple systems to keep the harvest at the daily minimum.

mmmmmmmmm!

leke
Cool Member

I forgot to mention that this will be an indoor grow under florescent lights. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Halfway
Green Thumb

What did you decide?

leke
Cool Member

I found some [url=https://www.vegetableseeds.net/Beet_Leaf_Perpetual_Spinach_p/bel02.htm]Beet Leaf Perpetual Spinach[/url] that I would like to try. Also I'm going to hunt down some Black Seeded Simpson and transplant my basil.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Ahhhh....spinach. Great idea!!

The Simpson is great as well as a never ending supply of basil, woot!

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”