fintuckyfarms

The project was great, however there were some unexpected results. When moving the unit, the crowns sunk down into the tubes and got wet. As you can guess, some died because while strawberrys don't mind their feet wet, they hate wet crowns. If you search Tri-City Hydroponic Gardeners you can see the newspaper article that was done on them.
This year I will be glueing couplers over the holes to keep the crowns dry.

fintuckyfarms

A few updated photos of the towers. Getting ready to replant them and I learned a few things from last year.

I ended up builing a new stand that was taller and would accomadate both the strawberry tower and the flower tower since it was for display purposes. I built a box out of insulation to cover and insulate the 55 gal barrels. It worked perfect and I was able to keep the nutes cool in 90+ weather with just a frozen juice jug in the nutes.
This year I will not plant directly into the holes because when we moved the display to the fair grounds, everything shifted and sunk and the crowns went inside the hole and got too wet. They were growing and producing like crazy at home but started dying at fair. I will try net pots this year. I am going to try herbs this year and see how that works out. Saw it at disney world so it should work...
There was a great article in the local paper; the display made the front page and was on at least two news stations. Several people remarked they came to fair just to see the display.

I'm on face book almost everyday if you have any urgent questions, Tri-City Hydroponic Gardeners
Attachments
fair hydro16 008.JPG
fair hydro 006.JPG
483C410B-5C72-49E8-B935-9CDEA46BAC75-18637-0000133EE24DD257.jpg
483C410B-5C72-49E8-B935-9CDEA46BAC75-18637-0000133EE24DD257.jpg (43.03 KiB) Viewed 3303 times

Highdroponic
Newly Registered

That is super cool!

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”