jpr54_
Cool Member

aero garden

I have enjoyed container herb gardening-
and also my aero garden for basil, mints, oregano, thyme

Has anyone had success with aero garden-growing tomatoes and lettuce

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love my mini-Aerogarden for herbs. I have used it for three winters now. (I don't use it in the growing season, when things can be outdoors.) But no, have not tried the larger one for tomatoes etc. I have a little skepticism, although they do suggest using it only for dwarf tomato varieties.

pavel
Newly Registered

I dare say that the root ball of tomato plants might be too big for an aerogarden. If you're keen on giving it a try, perhaps just try growing one plant in the garden to give the roots enough space to grow.

The other potential challenge is that tomato plants might grow too tall for the light system of the aerogarden. That could be overcome by using dwarf varieties as rainbowgardener has mentioned, otherwise some pruning might help. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

despite the name Aero-gardens are actually hydroponic. They are small self-contained hydroponic systems with a light, water reservoir with air pump, plugs for plants, nutrient packets.

[img]https://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/outdoor-living/detailpages/whatinbox.jpg[/img]

This is a 7 pod model. They make a small 3 pod model also, which is the one I have. They are nice because you can just set it on a kitchen counter, add water, plug it in, throw in a nutrient packet every once in a while and do nothing else. It auto cycles the light on and off. Pretty soon you have herbs growing on your kitchen counter. (or whatever you choose to plant in it)

Has nothing to do with epiphytes...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My comment about epiphytes was in response to a posting about orchids which has apparently since been removed.

Aero-garden does sell larger taller models that they insist can be used for growing tomatoes, but even so the tomatoes they show with it are dwarf cherry tomato varieties. I think a hydro system you could grow a full sized tomato plant in would no longer be kitchen counter sized.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Aero-gardens are a great ready-built system for a small space!

Just think if 10% grew their own lettuce and herbs. 8)

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”