jbar
Newly Registered

Grand Rapids Lettuce

Currently I'm growing Wattercress and Lettuce (Grand Rapids) and I manage to get a crop of Lettuces in 50-60 days (weather varying). The system is a custom built NFT.

My questions:
Why some lettuces get some strange marks? It is a Magnesium deficit? They grow normally but always have some leaves with those strange marks (See picture 8 ).
Why plants starting dying when at the sun? The air temperature is around 12C. At night they look healthy again. Are they unable to absorb enough water. Nutrients running too high (1.5-1.7mS)?
Why even small lettuces start developing long >10cm, 2mm wide roots with absence of little "air" alike roots? (See picture 15)
Do you know any resource with information specific for Lettuces?

The photos are [url=https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2768489/1/hidroponics?h=27b359]here[/url]

Halfway
Green Thumb

jbar...one thing I have learned with lettuce is to go very lightly on nutrients. I recorded each grow in a journal and ended up with about 1/4 nutes the first couple weeks and then no more than 1/2 for the remaining time as the best practice. I even stretched that time and it was impressive how well they did with significantly more time between changes.

I chronicled each grow in my blog.

What kind of nutes are you using?

jbar
Newly Registered

I'm also going lightly with the nutrients. Due a very full agenda, I spent almost four weeks without changing the nuts, or checking PH, and nothing happened (I usually change every 15 days, and check PH periodically). They continued growing happily, showing the same spots but no more. Only in the fourth week the older leaves started showing some yellowing, probably due to lack of Nitrogen.

Still, I'm curious what is causing those markings....

I buy the nuts in powder from a professional hydro Lettuce grower. Its the same formula he uses and comes in 5 parts which I must mix in individual recipients.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”