Fig3825

The beginnings of my setup

I posted a while back with a ton of questions. I've taken a few pictures to show what my plan of attack is once we move into the new house on June 2012.

The pictures aren't the best since I took them tonight, but I think with what I write below, it will all make sense...

[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/10182011010.jpg[/img]

[img]https://jtnewton.com/Images/Garden/10182011011.jpg[/img]

As in my other post, this fixture, with the exception of the reflector which I bought, was given to me by one of my electrical subcontractors. He gave me two, as a matter of fact.

Once I get the room built in our new house, I intend to get two of these racks and place them back to back giving me a 4' wide x 3' deep planting area on the shelf that has the plants sitting on it in the picture above. Since most 4 by trays are either 2' x 2' or 4' x 2', I'll spread the racks a few inches and let the planting trays hang over the edge 3" or so on each rack giving me the optimal 4' x 4' lit area under the light. The bottom shelf will house the reservoir. Since these shelves are movable, I can raise and lower the light RELATIVELY easily. However, I think I'll remove the wedges and hang the shelf from the ceiling with yoyo's so I can raise and lower it much easier. The light will hang between the two racks.

The fixture came with a plain white MH bulb that, according to the website for the manufacturer is a 4000K bulb. I didn't know this last year, but I was still able to revive the dying meyer there in the center after I completely cut it down to sticks and didn't leave a single leaf on it. However, I just ordered a Hortilux Blue today and I'll be picking it up this weekend. I figure between that bulb and a conversion HPS bulb that will work in this same fixture, I'll be covered for both leafy growth and flowering/fruiting once I get to that point...

Do any of the pros here see any flaws in my plan? I found that on ebay I can order a ballast, reflector/base and bulb for around $150-$200 with the setup for around $200 and the same with the Hortilux bulbs for closer to $400.

I'm thinking I'm best off sticking with what I got until I 'go pro', and using the conversion bulbs. If I get antsy down the road, maybe I'll splurge on a better reflector, ballast and lighting solution...

I'm also thinking I might have a fan installed in the foundation wall so I can vent the room to the outside. Two 400W bulbs going 14-16 hours a day might heat the room up considerably. The room that I will build will be about 6' x 12'.

The ducted reflectors would be the only reason I think I would need to buy a lighting solution - then I can duct it through the wall. Since I'm not growing anything illegal, that won't be a problem... :)

hydroguy

Heat can be an issue when running HID lights. Venting outside works but it also causes you to heat/cool the incoming air as well. If your venting outside youmight want to think of a sealed system, just a thought. Saving that heat in the winter time is something to consider as well.

Get your feet wet, so to speak, with hydropnics first then move up to the high watts your thinking about. You've got plenty of time before the move so get some water pumping buddy!

Best of luck,

hydroguy

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”