Handsomeryan
Cool Member

Mint Cloning

Kind of silly to build a hydroponic system to clone mint when other techniques such as "accidentally dropping a piece on the ground and not sweeping it up" work equally well to produce roots on cuttings but I thought I'd go ahead and ask- Who propagates mint in an active* hydroponic system?

*not just putting cuttings in a glass of water.

What kind of system do you use and how is it working out for you?

In the past I've used DWC or Raft type systems to clone and grow mint more as a means to isolate the mint from spreading to my soil gardens than anything else. I've got a few mint plants in a pot of soil on my porch but several people have asked me for cuttings and that sounds like prime excuse to build a new hydroponic cloning system just for fun. Tell me about your mint-in-hydroponics to inspire me.

[img]https://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/1bublerv21.jpg[/img]

csvd87

I have cloned mint in an ebb and flow system with great success, but the shot glass method was quicker. A small plastic shoebox DWC would probably be your best bet just to get them to root, then transfer to a pot. It makes me want to build one and see how many I can get going at once, would be great way to build my Pineapple Mint population, and other herbs.

bren.t

I have a dwc cloner that a friend of mine made that is pretty much the same as the cloner you have pictured, except a little smaller it looks like and with neoprene sleeves instead of net pots. They work great for cloning all sorts of stuff, and any excuse to build something new to try out is a good excuse in my book 8) .
I grow mint outside in an aquaponic system because it thrives despite Texas heat during the summer. It grows out of control! And cuttings can keep the system full throughout the summer with a couple of harvests.

Boomslang
Cool Member

I use a set up like yours, except mine in only 2 gallons. I use very mild solution with a couple drops of Super Thrive. I have mine rigged with holes in the top of the lid so I can just let the stems hang in the solution over my bubbler. I only use it to get the roots started going, then I re-pot them. I myself did some peppermint, lemon mint, and even got a rose stem to root once. I have found myself looking around the yard for different plants to try and root. :) Some root easier than others, but its just really fun to try different ones.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I just stopped by to gain info. I'm more of an outdoor type but I grew 7 kinds of mint this year. I personally use seeds from the harvest. chocolate mint and grapefruit mint are my favorites would love to clone some if I can.

PreserveFlowers
Newly Registered

I have just used a large pot and set them outside underneath the deck where the sunlight is limited. Growth has been crazy and always have more than enough mint for mojitos year around.

Fig3825

Yeah, it must be something I don't understand... Mint grows like weeds and it's not hard to propogate. However, it doesn't survive the winter, so I guess that is why you would grow it indoors?

We planted some in the yard about 4 years ago. We harvest from the same spot every year all summer long because it just keeps coming back...over and over again. No additional planting necessary.

zeromilefarms
Newly Registered

Mint will grow on the surface of the moon. Every-time I have ever planted in my systems they take it over in less then 3 months crowding out all other plants. So the last time this happend I pulled it out and threw it in my backyard. It's now starting to take over my backyard.

Kill it.......Kill it with fire!

imafan26
Mod

Great setup
My problem is more dividing the mint before it strangles itself, so I usually have a lot of extra sections and don't need to make more.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”