greenchief

my very 1st DWC (with a question)

hi!.. I was lured into the world of deep water culture growing by watching youtube!.. I been growing sweet and hot peppers since I was very young outdoors in buckets.. I recently started 1 DWC sweet pepper plant for now to get the feel of it all.. I got it started in a very small pot with a small pump and air stone...when it gets bigger I will transfer it into a 1 gallon dwc bucket and then finally a 4gallon dwc bucket...it is a "doe hill sweet pepper" plant... I am using "optimum hydroponix" growAB and bloomAB and Optimum hydroponix Supermax B1... and also superthrive.... I am also keeping ph in check ... it is now on OH grow and superthrive........ is anyone familiar with these nutrients? are my peppers gonna be safe to eat?... either way I'm having a lot of fun,,,, I will make a pic of the lil bugger!!... and oh yeah this plant will be grown with CFLs all the way!
Last edited by greenchief on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

greenchief

[img]https://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x460/greenchief1/DWC%20Pepper%20under%20CFLs/seedlings04-08-11001.jpg[/img]
Last edited by greenchief on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Best of success to you and welcome to Hydro!

I am not familiar with those nutrients, but I don't see why they would be unsafe for any reason.

Do you intend on changing the spectrum of the CFLs when they go from growth to flowering? Indoors under Floro/CFL looks to be a challenge.

Please post your results as you progress. 8)

hydroguy

optimum hydroponix - developed in Holland and produced in Canada. Both of those countries have an extremely good reputation in the hydroponics world. The nutes I run come from Canada actually but I am not personally familiar with this line.

From the limited research I did this morning there's not a great deal of info on it as of yet. One article says it's been a top seller in Quebec for 15 years, funny I've never heard of it but then again I don't live in Quebec but I do follow the hydro industry rather closely. As for the CFL's as your light source it will probably work given that you have enough of them. I've got some peppers that need to go outside and they are loaded with little baby peppers all grown under T-5 floro's.

Keep us posted on how your nutes preform, first hand knowledge is better than any advertising.

hydroguy

hydroponix
Newly Registered

Good morning all,
I work for Optimum Hydroponix up here in Montreal. If you have any questions regarding our nutrients and how to use them, please feel free to contact me and I will be more than happy to give you a hand with what you are doing. Our nutrients are not readily available in the United States at the current time. We are currently working on finding a distributor for your market, though we do sell directly to a few stores in California at the moment.

@greencheif: In answer to your question about whether or not your peppers are going to be safe to eat. With out a doubt. Many of us at the office use our nutrients in our personal gardens. Due to the fact that the hydro nutrients are of a higher quality nutrients that many people can purchase at the local garden centre, the plants and veggies are much happier. I've grown peppers and tomatoes in my garden with Optimum for years. We have in the past worked with community gardens in the local Montreal area and have supplied them with nutrients to grow for the local food bank and they've all been very happpy.

Please keep us up to date on how the plants and nutrients are growing. :-)

@hydroguy: A slight correction, Optimum Hydroponix two part A&B hydroponic nutrients were developed here in Quebec in the late 1980's early 1990's, as were the base products for our line... Supermax B1, Humex Fossil Force as well as Fulvex Fossil Force. It is our Mystik, Titan and ZenZyme products that were developed in Holland. We also have a new line of products for growing in coco coir called Mo'Koko that is taking off.

good luck with your gardens!
thanks
Chris

greenchief

directly from the source I love it! .. yes I am very happy with the nutes so far ... the lil plant is growing faster than anything on my seedling shelf

greenchief

I plan to keep it simple... cool whites for now.. 26w x 4........ then when I wanna start bloom ill add a 125w 2700k bulb

Hydroponics
Cool Member

Thanks for showing up to the discussion Hydroponix. I love seeing manufacturers out in the field answering questions for customers. Great service, A+ in my book. I will definitely look into the nutrient line because of the level of customer service presented in this thread.

hydroponix
Newly Registered

Unfortunately our American distributor closed down, so getting our nutrients in the USA is a little difficult. The ones listed on our web site carry mostly our hard goods such as our propagation domes and trays.

Good growin' to you all!
hydroponix

csvd87

Too bad I can't get it out here in BC, especially with how popular hydroponics is here, if you know what I mean. I can get just about everything else here. It sounds like good stuff, Right now I'm using GH MaxiGro, Cheap stuff, it works, not wonders, but it works. I'd be using better stuff, but I had run out of money on my budget build.

hydroponix
Newly Registered

@csvd87: I've PM'd you regarding BC.

I thought I'd just chime in here to say that nutrients are just part of the growing equation. There is no one super nutrient that I would say is better than another. Some have more "this" and less "that" but they all will feed your plants quite well. Do not worry. They only caveat that I would like to say to this is that in hydroponics, in general (as there are exceptions) you want to avoid powdered nutrients, especially those that come from big box stores or garden centres; and concentrate your nutrient purchases on nutrients that are specifically made for hydroponics. The main reason being that most of the non-hydroponic nutrients are principally made up of MACRO nutrients and have little else in them. As well, the chemicals used to make them up are more likely than not, not made with chelated elements which are greatly more assimilable by plants of all types. Most hydroponic nutrients are loaded up with micro-elements which are missing from the soil. I.e. Iron, cobalt, calcium, magnesium; all essential to your plants health. The main reason being is that hydro nutrient manufacturers assume that you are growing in a neutral growing medium (rockwool, clay pellets, aeroponics) devoid of any elements for plant growth, so they manufacture their products accordingly. Major nutrient brands assume you are growing in an already nutrient rich soil, and leave a lot of the good stuff out.

If you have any concerns or question about the nutrients you are using or want to use, by all means contact the manufacturer. It is your right as a consumer. If they are a serious company, they will be more than happy to spend some time answering your questions and addressing your concerns regarding their products. Also, do your own due diligence... google the product and see what people are saying.

All that being said, one key thing to remember in hydroponics is that nutrients are only a small part of the equation. The most important piece of advice that I can offer you, is that your environment is your number one factor in how well your plants will grow. People so often overlook temperature an humidity in indoor growing and don't really realize how much they have to play in the grand scheme of things. If it's too hot and muggy in your growing area, your plants will feed less... if it's too cold, nutrient uptake will not function properly, or your plants will shut down. Also, make sure that you have proper air exchange in your grow room... Clean fresh air makes a difference. Hot stale mouldy air attracts fungus, viruses and bugs which will all have a large impact on your plant's health.

I hope this was of help and interest.
Grow big and grow well!

hydroponix

newleaf150

If you are interested, check out the link in my sig to my outdoor RDWC (recirculating deep water culture) grow, currently in progress. I am growing peppers, tomatoes and pickling cucumbers. This is my 4th season of outdoor hydroponic gardening. There are some shots of last year's pay-off, too. I can assure you that vegetables grown properly in a hydroponic system are perfectly safe to consume.

Would love an update on any grows you're up to!

greenchief

unfortunately I moved to a new house while my pepper plant was blooming.. I had no choice but to scrap it.. but fortunately.. I am in a bigger house with more room.. and I have built two 3plant dwc tubs and I am waiting for a new 250 watt hps light... my wife and I enjoyed having the plants inside this winter so we want more... in the dwc system I will use the same nutrients (optimum hydroponix) with a couple additions suggested by a fine gentlemen from the actual company who makes the nutrient.. so this grow will be alot better.. I will put update pics or even videos up as soon as I set up my new grow space......all I got is seedlings at the moment (Doe Hill, habenero red and sweet banana peppers)..... my activity on this forum should pick up pretty quick... good luck everyone and happy growing...

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”