The Mad Hatter

basic supplies needed.

Hello everyone. I am wanting to build a DWC for lettuce for my wife. I understand his to construct them and they seem pertty simple. I need a reliable source for the net Potts and the hydroton. Also if someone could recommend a good electronic PH meter and what ever You see to monitor the PPM of the nutrients I would be very greatful. We don't have a hydro store here so this will be purchased online. Any web link advice would be great as well.

Thanks in advance!

T.M.H.

wordwiz
Green Thumb

TMH,

Before you sink a chunk of change into the adventure, consider this:

You can use Dixie Cups for the net pots, just slice the sides and out a couple holes in the bottom. And you really don't need hydroton, especially since it can be expensive to ship. Rocks that you use in an outdoor grill work just as well or you can simply pick up rocks from your garden - just wash them off completely and if you wanna be real safe, soak them in bleach then rince them completely. Air stones are not expensive nor are they necessary. You can stick a hose from an air pump in the water. If you want tiny bubbles, wrap the end in a piece of an old sheet.

Once you get the hang of it, you can always upgrade, though I have downgraded tp the above!

Mike

The Mad Hatter

I have thought about using pea gravel. Would that work? I have also pondered using three inch pots or four inch pots and making my own "nets". I really would like to get some good measuring instruments for the PH and nutrients. I just don't know what to get in that area though.

What is everyone using for the nutrients?

T.M.H.

hydroguy

T.H.M. I agree with your line of thinking here, knowing the water your feeding the plants is the first step to a successful grow. For testing the nutrient concentration I use this:

[img]https://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130/hydroguy/Hydro%20chamber%201/PICT0002.jpg[/img]

https://www.milwaukeetesters.com/manuals_waterproof_testers.html

The one pictured is the T75 model, second one I've owned only because the first one was stolen. Worth every penny. It measures in the 0 - 1999 scale which is more or less the standard for PPM. I prefer PPM over EC scales as they are more accurate IMHO.

I've spent way too much of Ph testers. What I use now is pool/aquarium model I picked up on Ebay for around $25 and it works well.

You also need to make a one time purchase of some calibration soultions, don't rely on the manufactor. For the PPM meter its a one part test. Dip your meter in the known solution and calibrate. Rinse after use and store dry. For the Ph tester it's a bit tricker, you'll need 3 soultions to do it properly. A 4.01, 10.01 and a storage solution of 7.0. Your tester will come with instructions on the 4 & 10 usage to calibrate. Critical thing is to store your tester upright with just a bit of 7.0 storage solution in the cap. Each time you turn it on you will know it's calibrated correctly. Do not let your Ph tester probe dry out.

Sure some one will disagree but this is what I've learned over the years and it works for me.

hydroguy

hydroguy

The Mad Hatter wrote:

What is everyone using for the nutrients?

T.M.H.
boost, grow and ph down are all need to grow lettuce

[img]https://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130/hydroguy/Peppers/1207101930-00.jpg[/img]

hydroguy

hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

I have a pH tester which is digital and it drives me insane.

You can pick up pH test strips or red drops at Walmart or a pool store for a few dollars. They require no calibration, they are never wrong and have no probes to worry about.

Just my .02 as I just recently started too!

The Mad Hatter

Thanks everyone! Most excellent advice. I cant wait to get started now heheh. I will get this going as soon as I get the outdoor garden tilled up and the transplants put out.

How long does a lettuce grow last before they peter out?

T.M.H.

Hydroponics
Cool Member

I havn't used any of the nutrients Hydro Guy is using but I have used:

Earth Juice (the entire set is great)
Pura Vida Organics
Homemade Hydro Nutrients by mixing dry nutes in water, then sifting completely, and triple filtering my water pump and reservoir as to not clog the lines, but I used open ended tubes for drip lines instead of drippers.

The dry nute homemade into liquid hydroponics nutrients will work for DWC as well, as a matter of fact, it will be completely organic, and won't need all the extra pump filters because you just need an air pump.

Halfway
Green Thumb

3 inch net opts are about $45 each.

Hydroton is about $11 for a large bag that will last 30 cycles or more.

PH Up, PH Down, and the PH test kit run about $13 and I believe will last me about 3 years for my 2 DWCs and Ebb and Flow systems.

Over time, these are items are cheap and prompted me to buy as opposed to my usual "do it yourself" attitude.

I have yet to find a need for a PH meter. The simple test kit seems to work well. I agree with HE, I only seem to need the PH Down for lettuce.

Best of success! You will be addicted very soon. :)

Hydroponics
Cool Member

I think Halfway means 45 cents each for the net pots.

If anyone is willing to pay $45 per net pot, I'll sell them to you for $40 all day.

If you aren't willing to pay that you can get them for 45 cents anywhere else.

:P

hydrotrav
Newly Registered

> the Mad Hatter wrote:
> What is everyone using for the nutrients?

I have to admit there are quite a number of choices out there to select from. Trying to make this nutrient decision was much more of a project itself than I expected . . . but I I've narrowed it down now.

After many conversations and more than a few hours of reading, I finally decided to start with the General Hydroponics Maxi series nutrients, and some of their other pre-mixed nute enhancement formulas.

What finally got me committed to start with the GH nutes is that this company has been at this for over 30 years, and are constantly researching new formulas. I liked that I could talk to these folks, and actually get real answers, not just sale pitch blurb for their own products.

So . . . that's what I'm starting with, will see how this goes . . .

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”