hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

What to use for pH Down?

Hello,

As you all know by now, I have had a rough journey. But thanks to some great members here my hybrid hydroponic system is sorta working!

One issue I have is my pH keeps spiking. I can lower it using Vinegar and I have been but it does not work for long.... obviously using a bottle of vinegar a day is not practical.

I am in central america so a commercial pH product is not available that I know of... not for this use.

However there are a HUGE amount of regular gardening fertilizers and compounds.

I have hear Urea can be used to lower pH? Is this true? That is READILY available here.

Also we have a lot of pool and spa stores here. Is there any pool product for pH that I could use safetly?

What do you all recommend? I am open to any ideas...

hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

Today I decided to try Lime. I have several lime tries that produce wonderful, acidic limes. They are free. I figured they would lower the pH.

I found the base pH of lime is about 3. Which is good.

I let it sit, it does not APPEAR to evaporate fast like vinegar. This may make it an excellent ORGANIC pH down. Of course, who knows what other trace elements may be in it and what impact it may have.

Any ideas?

I am testing it on a select group now...

Halfway
Green Thumb

Have you found out the source for the spikes? I may have missed it and if so, I apologize.

I never really see any "spikes" or swift moves, but only a little creep up as the nutes get converted and transpiration is heavy.

hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

Halfway I have no idea.

The water here is naturally at about 8 when I test it with pH drops.

So the bottled water is the same. I am in Central America so blah.

I just tested the first rain water of the year and it registered around 7.

I may start using it as a base.

A hydroponics firm here has recommended using Phosphoric Acid to reduce pH........

Halfway
Green Thumb

Rainwater should be right as 7, so your's is good. What are you using for media, rockwool, coir?

hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

Halfway .... Corn Coir (it's weird but commonly used in Central America) and pumice rock. It's mixed for use in Hydro systems.

When I ran a pH run off test on it I got 7.....

Hydroponics
Cool Member

You sure are having some odd problems.

What are you using to check ph of your medium and what are you using to check the PH of your water?

I have never had a PH problem in any grow. Even with heavy nutes. One thing to do is just reduce the amount of nutrients you are using and "flush" the system.

Have you been changing your reservoir or are you hand watering?

You can site a rain barrel outside, then use a small water pump when you need to pump out 5 gallons at a time to use in your system, but you have to make sure no birds are pooping in your barrel and stuff like that, construct it properly.

Need many more details if you can, I'm sure we can get you growing hydroponics in no time.

hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

Hydroponics thanks.

I think it is because my water is hard.

Someone here suggested Phosphoric Acid which worked well, pH is stable and under control now at 5.8-6.0 and I plan to leave it there!

Rain water is important I think, it is at 7 and my tap water is so much higher.

I am using pH drops to monitor, I have had bad luck with DIGITAL PH readers. :-S

Hydroponics
Cool Member

Can you use a water filter? Even one of those Brita Filters will probably lower the ph of your water.

I don't know if the phosphoric acid or whatever is good to be using on plants you plan to consume, but I'm just uneducated on that issue.

If anything I would use General Hydroponics PH down, but I would find the root of the problem rather than just trying to use a duct tape fix. There are natural ph downs too.

agforest
Newly Registered

phosphoric acid....get it on ebay for cheap...

hydrolifeCA
Cool Member

Good input. I am using white vinegar still. I wanna keep it natural.

Peat? I wonder where I get peat to mix in?

My nutes are... custom fabricated. Called "X-terra" but they are just fabricated in this country. Their pH is balanced.

YoungBuck

Hydroponics wrote:Can you use a water filter? Even one of those Brita Filters will probably lower the ph of your water.

I don't know if the phosphoric acid or whatever is good to be using on plants you plan to consume, but I'm just uneducated on that issue.

If anything I would use General Hydroponics PH down, but I would find the root of the problem rather than just trying to use a duct tape fix. There are natural ph downs too.
Most of the commercial pH downs are phosphoric acid. :-S

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”