Ruffsta
Green Thumb

tomato sweeteners...

I hear that tomatoes taste good but not as sweet as they should be.. and watched a video about adding a diluted sweetener into the water..

any info on this would be great..

[url]https://www.youtube.com/user/happygameshow[/url]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ruffsta,

My brother and I make many 200 gallon batches of aerated compost tea annually. We seem to use molasses in every recipe. The sugar is there to feed the little critter, not sure how it would sweeten the fruit. :?

I applied some of this to my bottom watering shelf. In this typical garbage can, I added some horse manure leachate and beer brewing extract. I didn't measure the extract, it was just a squeeze and glug. Thick like molasses.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03232.jpg[/img]

I can tell you that the cool crops I have started with this system seem very green and healthy. :D
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03233.jpg[/img]

Like in the video, I have seen some build up of slim on / in the plumbing.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Do a forum search for favorite tomato varieties.

Don't buy tomato starts from big box stores labeled "tomato".
Farmers Markets and some independent garden centers are more likely to sell started tomatoes of specific variety, though I'm beginning to see a bit more interesting ones from more common sources. If you can, consider starting your own from seeds -- it's still not too late depending on where you live.

Wait -- just noticed this is in hydroponics forum -- are you planning to grow hydroponically?? tomatoes?

hydroguy

Black Strap Molasses is a tried and true method of adding carbohydrates to a hydroponic system. Like the dude said there are some draw backs to it and the first hand experience from DDF is an example. The amount of carbs in the mixture and the amount available to the plants depends on if your running a truely organic system. Organic hydroponics requires bacteria and enzymes to break down the nutrients.

The nutrient line I use has a carb booster, called Sugar Daddy. This and many other carbohydrate boosters are available that do not require your system to be an organic one. I've used it and would also recommend a P K booster aswell for flowering plants.

hydroguy

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

applestar wrote: Wait -- just noticed this is in hydroponics forum -- are you planning to grow hydroponically?? tomatoes?
yes

and yes, all my plants are started from seed :) I have like around 150 plants that have sprouted and are awaiting to go outside first day of spring :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and yes, all my plants are started from seed I have like around 150 plants that have sprouted and are awaiting to go outside first day of spring
I probably missed other postings. Do you have a large outdoor hydroponics system or are you planting them in soil?

Eric

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

those are for outside soil, I am going to be running a test baby romaine in a 5gal dwc... I have a 45gal dwc system ready to go for 8 plants.. but since I am new, I am just gonna stick to the 5gal test setup, if I enjoy it and it does well.. I'll continue on with my 45gal setup.

most of my plants are for outdoors.. spring is right around the corner... bout time is all I can say :lol: sick of snow and the cold! :lol:

Halfway
Green Thumb

I notice MANY nutrient supplements designed to enhance essential oil and "ripening sweetness" of fruit and flowers, so there must be something to it?

I figured it was just the pot growers trying to get some flavor into their "medicines".

:shock:

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”