Halfway
Green Thumb

Pepper Growing Technique?

ThePepperSeed wrote:
Halfway wrote:It does sound interesting. Can you explain the peppers a bit?
This is my first time growing it, I just received the seeds this past summer. I've grown super hots for the past 3 years just not this particular strain. This guy goes into a lot of detail on the taste/heat -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lrtAkDqK0

so do these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37FekjT1bKw

I started my seed in early Nov and just started a grow log for it here -

https://thepepperseed.com/peppers/growing-peppers/7-pod-brain-strain-in-dwc/

Should be fun! :D
Love the photos on your site!

Direct seeding into rockwool while in the DWC. Wow. That saves a lot of time.

I may have missed it, but what level of nutrients are you using upon planting the seed, zero?

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Impressive growth, for sure! I like DWC but if you are using air stones, keep an eye (or ear!) on them. I had a great grow going a couple of years ago but two different stones got clogged or just quit working (how can air clog something?!) so now I use 1/4" soaker hose.

What kind of lighting are you using?

Mike

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

wordwiz wrote:Impressive growth, for sure! I like DWC but if you are using air stones, keep an eye (or ear!) on them. I had a great grow going a couple of years ago but two different stones got clogged or just quit working (how can air clog something?!) so now I use 1/4" soaker hose.

What kind of lighting are you using?

Mike
I'm just using some T5's right now. If I decide to keep these inside year round I'll probably go ahead and invest in an HPS and or MH light. Thanks for the tips on the airstones!

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Halfway wrote: I may have missed it, but what level of nutrients are you using upon planting the seed, zero?
I added zero nutes until each plant had about 3 sets of leaves. Then I added a heavily diluted mix, maybe 20% strength.

Halfway
Green Thumb

ThePepperSeed wrote:
Halfway wrote: I may have missed it, but what level of nutrients are you using upon planting the seed, zero?
I added zero nutes until each plant had about 3 sets of leaves. Then I added a heavily diluted mix, maybe 20% strength.
Interesting. My gows have all reaquired less nutrients than forecasted as well.

They look great Pepper and love the website!

hydroguy

Really cool website Pepper! Live and learn with those nutes. I was curious how plants grown in DWC transition to soil growth. I had been told plants form either air or water roots and transplanting a water rooted plant like your beauties wouldn't work going into soil, while air rooted plants (ebb/Flow) would transition easily.

That's just what I had read and have no factual data or experience to back it up, I'm really curious as to your thought on this. Glad you found HG and can bring in experience we can all learn from.

Keep up the great work and I'll sure be looking at those seed supplies you used when I place an order here in the next few weeks.

hydroguy

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

hydroguy wrote:Really cool website Pepper! Live and learn with those nutes. I was curious how plants grown in DWC transition to soil growth. I had been told plants form either air or water roots and transplanting a water rooted plant like your beauties wouldn't work going into soil, while air rooted plants (ebb/Flow) would transition easily.

That's just what I had read and have no factual data or experience to back it up, I'm really curious as to your thought on this. Glad you found HG and can bring in experience we can all learn from.
Thanks. I've been tinkering with dwc for about year now and have learned a lot...mostly by killing plants over and over :oops: I'm not sure on moving dwc plants to soil. From what I have read it sounds like it's not easy. I will probably try a few things...maybe some cuttings from the dwc plants into soil before a transplant attempt. Another season of experimenting ahead :D

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

I didn't know once you started something in a dwc you could put it into soil... I always figured it was one or the other.. interesting indeed... considering I have around 150 or more plants I started indoors ready to go outside first day of spring.. I could have grown them better.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

Ruffsta wrote:I didn't know once you started something in a dwc you could put it into soil... I always figured it was one or the other.. interesting indeed... considering I have around 150 or more plants I started indoors ready to go outside first day of spring.. I could have grown them better.
The two pepper plants I've pulled out of the dwc buckets and moved to dirt are doing great...I'll get pictures up soon.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”