Halfway
Green Thumb

Raft or rigid top for DWC?

I am looking at a 10-12 gallon sterilite or rubbermade container for a DWC system. I intend on using either 6 5-inch pots or 8 3-inch pots (undecided) for lettuce.

I intend on setting up 2 of these DWCs and using a dual pump I have to power air stones in each reservoir. This will complement the ebb and flow and will allow me to have lettuce in various stages of harvest. I don't need another ebb and flow at this point and don't need the expense of another submersible pump.

My question is this......based on experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages over these building methods:

1) Using the plastic lid with appropriate sized holes for the net pots to fit

or

2) Using a 1.5 inch thick piece of styrofoam with the holes cut for the net pots to fit?

Seems like a dumb question, but any experience on one versus the other?

csvd87

You could buy the container that comes with the lid and cut it for either the 5 inch or 3 inch pots, and then buy the foam and cut it for the other, then you can test either method, just a thought. :)

hydroguy

[img]https://i784.photobucket.com/albums/yy130/hydroguy/Hydro%20chamber%201/hydro%20Chamber%202/lettuce-raft-HydroponicFloatSystem250.jpg[/img]* Google Images

I had read an article some time back about useing this method and found it quite fascinating. I spent months and months reading long before I ever turned on the first light. Can't find the article but it went something like this: a number of flats were planted every day and worked their way throguh a series of channels. An equal number of flats were harvested daily at the other end of the system. A perpetual river of lettuce it was. I'd try the styrofoam flat and insert as many seedlings into it as you want. Simple and cheap enough you can have different densities to work with.

https://www.simplyhydroponic.com/hydroponic-systems/5-types-of-hydroponic-systems

Love to see this one grow Halfway!

Halfway
Green Thumb

Thanks gents.

I am leaning towads the styrofoam, and in looking at the photo hydrogy posted, I could germinate in rockwool and wedge directly into the styrofoam. Hmmmm.....no need for net pots, no need for transplant or messing with transplanting into hydroton/silica rock.

I could light proof with some mylar I have.

I could grow more than what 8 3 inch pots would offer.

No cutting holes in plastic (pain in the ass).

Sounding better and better.

csvd87

haha, I know what you mean about the plastic, unless I was at work, piece of cake, but I had to resort to scoring and snapping, which worked 90% of the time. almost snapped a lid in half using that method

Halfway
Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:haha, I know what you mean about the plastic, unless I was at work, piece of cake, but I had to resort to scoring and snapping, which worked 90% of the time. almost snapped a lid in half using that method
Yeah, I broke at least 3 razor blades and ended up using a dremel to smooth it. I can't believe hole saw bits are $22 for something I may use 2 or 3 times, ugggghhhh.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”