The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Organic Hydroponics

The teacher becomes the student...

I know little about this but you guys know by now I put great stock in soil biologies. Is there an organic method that allows for biology as part of the mix? Anyone using compost teas? Anyone doing this organically?

HG

applestar
Mod

I'm not, and this is on my list of things to go on the NEW PROJECT! list. So I'll be looking forward to replies on this thread as well. :wink:

Wouldn't Aquaponics be kind of organic hydroponics? My still-in-the-noodling-stage idea is to somehow cleverly connect the rainbarrel overflow to a small pond, with the pond recirculating over a DIY Patrick Blanc-style Mur Végétal. (I know I've mentioned this here and there over the last what... 2-1/2 years? :roll: :lol:)

hydroguy

I ran an Ebb & Grow system useing a product called Natures Nectar when I first got into hydroponics and failed miserably. Nutrient strength was way to rich when following the directions, my ventilation was far from adequate, the light system I had was underpowered. The list of mistakes could go on with that experiment but the thing that turned me against organic nutrients for an indoor garden was the smell. Good gosh that stuff stinks to high heaven! When the system cycled you'd have thought an animal had crawled in a corner and died or something.

Now that I've got a few years under my belt and understand the basics of indoor gardening a bit better I might try it again one day, maybe.

hydroguy

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

hydro, sounds like you went anaerobic somewhere, likely the nutrient. This is my concern...

Soil biologies are for the most part aerobic. You can maintain aerobic conditions on liquids (think aerated compost tea), but it's harder and the nature of biology is to use the air in the water, starving the aerobes who lose their spots to the facultative anaerobes who crank out the sulfides (exhalations from anaerobic organisms) which smell like swamp gas...

ASs aquaponics seems a better system but it necessitates leeping oxygenating plants, filter beds (for denitrifying bacteria) and LOTs of water movement to keep it oxygenated. Pretty energy intensive...

I just am not sure about the sustainable angle of such a system. Are we getting back the energy we put in? I can't be sure but think it must be more going in than coming out...

And there is the biofilm build-up; how do we deal with that? Snails? Aquatic snails often have a fish parasitic instar in their development. What about the hose sections and pumps? Regular switch out of parts while others sterilize? Doable, but not easy...

This requires much thought...

HG

Halfway
Green Thumb

So far, it shows to consume far LESS energy than using a PC to surf forums. :idea:

Chemical footprint is basically nill.

Garden rakes, hoes, shovels (all transported by petro burning ships, trucks, and cars), are not needed. Those tools are in need of replacement every so often.

My research has shown hydroponic use in both nutrient value and efficiency in yield to be FAR superior to soil growing.

As I am pragmatic by nature, I will maximize space both inside and outside to increase system efficiency.

But I can say that hydro is very appealing.

Check out the term "Window farms project" on youtube or google.

We all must remain open minded. 8)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks HW!

What are you using to pump nutrient? Ebb and flow system? Gutters?

What are you using for nutrient?

If I can work this organically, I will certainly try it. Just know the smartest guy I know doing this is doing it chemically (fertility anyway; his pest control is completely biological). Do not know anyone pulling this off organically yet, although I think AS is on the right track with the aquaponics. I just think that will take some energy to keep up...

HG

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”