Daniel888
Newly Registered

GDay halfway,

great video and those are some amazing roots..

Nice little setup you have there too.. Did you make that yourself or is it store bought? Unfortunately, we don't really get many premaid flood and drain systems such as yours in australia :(. most people just DIY them.

Cheers from Brisbane Australia

Dan

Halfway
Green Thumb

Hello Danielle....

YES. Totally homemade and as cheaply as possible. I want to learn as much as I can and I feel that doing it myself enhances the learning.

I looked at several retail systems on line for reverse engineering and design, but to be honest, most of the ideas come from individuals posting homemade systems on forums such as these and on youtube.

I am still researching and drawing plans for my next phase.

Are you running hydroponics? If so, what are you growing?

Halfway
Green Thumb

[url=https://img545.imageshack.us/I/27nov103.jpg/][img]https://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9737/27nov103.th.jpg[/img][/url]

The above photo was taken on November 27th. This is after many harvests which have kept it and the basil trimmed back.

We are at day 27 days (in the photo, 36 days as of today) in the ebb and flow system and this has produced many salads and BLTs. Probably $10 to $15 in lettuce. We have used several batches of basil and have quite a bit in the freezer as well.

I am building 2 DWC systems to allow continuous harvests of lettuce. I'll post when I get it up and running both here and on the blog.

Thanks for all the input from many folks....this first run has been exceptional in all regards and I learned and confirmed alot!

Halfway
Green Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG5oF6W0pKI

Here is the latest vid showing a lettuce harvest, discussing nutrient results, light hanging hardware, and future use of the ebb and flow and deep water culture systems.

Enjoy and Happy New Year to all!!

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Imagine meeting you here!

Mike

Halfway
Green Thumb

wordwiz wrote:Imagine meeting you here!

Mike
Greetings my friend! This is a very good forum with many great members on all topics.

hydroguy

Looking good Halfway! Enjoy watching the vids buddy. I tried running hydrogen peroxide in my systems once and the results were frustrating, to say the least. Have no idea why as many folks use it but not heard of any one with the nute line I run doing it. Slimy junk built up all over everything in the resv in a matter of days. It is great for cleaning which is where I use it, ran out and have been meaning to get some more.

Pulled some leaf lettuce from some plants under the floro's last night, impressive. Probably wouldn't have tried it until I watched your vids, great work!

hydroguy

Halfway
Green Thumb

hydroguy wrote:Looking good Halfway! Enjoy watching the vids buddy. I tried running hydrogen peroxide in my systems once and the results were frustrating, to say the least. Have no idea why as many folks use it but not heard of any one with the nute line I run doing it. Slimy junk built up all over everything in the resv in a matter of days. It is great for cleaning which is where I use it, ran out and have been meaning to get some more.

Pulled some leaf lettuce from some plants under the floro's last night, impressive. Probably wouldn't have tried it until I watched your vids, great work!

hydroguy
On the hydrogen peroxide, the folks using it (I'm still looking for the threads/articles) had seen prevention or even treatment of some issues and it seemed like a good preventative. I have not seen any negative changes in anything, so my use is not real scientific at this point, LOL.

Glad you have some lettuce moving. It has been productive during the learning process to actually recoup some initial startup costs with great tasting greens.

Post some shots. 8)

Halfway
Green Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZbzFUwdMA

The first run is now in the history books!!

Thanks for everyone's contribution. The learning curve would have been MUCH steeper without the great posts and comments on these boards.

I posted the latest video on the blog as well as some commentary.

I tore down the ebb and flow yesterday ending an incredible run for the Simpson lettuce and lemon basil. We estimated 60 full salads worth of lettuce and probably another 20 batches for sandwiches. The basil is loaded in the freezer and will be used for the next several weeks in stews and soups.

I ended up cleaning the system with 3/4 cup bleach per gallon of warm water. I noticed some "slime" on the inside lid of the reservoir and the intake/outflow tubes, but it was minimal and really the only thing that looked like it needed cleaning. I wiped down the big pieces and rinsed and soaked the small pieces and rinsed.

I soaked the silica stones in the bleach water, rinsed, and now letting dry to get rid of the small pieces of roots. I intend on thoroughly rinsing again in a few weeks after the root pieces have crumbled to dust.

Hydroponics
Cool Member

Thanks for keeping us updated the whole way through halfway. Grow logs are one of the best ways to learn new techniques in my opinion. Can't wait to see new stuff!

Halfway
Green Thumb

Hydroponics wrote:Thanks for keeping us updated the whole way through halfway. Grow logs are one of the best ways to learn new techniques in my opinion. Can't wait to see new stuff!
Couldn't agree more. I learn something each time I annotate or read previous entries. Info that seems committed to knowledge NOW, was completely foreign not too long ago.

Nice website by the way, very informative.

hydroguy

Fine grow Halfway! I agree with ya about the slower growth in DWC during these colder days. You thought about adding a heater to your resv? Still confused how your Simpson grew just like it is supposed to compared to how the plants I grew did.

Awesome work for your first grow!

hydroguy

Halfway
Green Thumb

hydroguy wrote:Fine grow Halfway! I agree with ya about the slower growth in DWC during these colder days. You thought about adding a heater to your resv? Still confused how your Simpson grew just like it is supposed to compared to how the plants I grew did.

Awesome work for your first grow!

hydroguy
Thank you Sir.

It (Simpson) did grow picture perfect. I think much luck entered into the equation, haha!

The DWC lettuce is ready for it's first small harvest. Game on!

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”