Lawrence Croeser

Aeration of top flow hydroponics system

Good Day,

I have the following system;

A top feed and drain system, situated outdoors under natural light.
My growing medium is hydroton. I feed each vegetable plant via a 3mm tube. The plants are fed 7 times per day for one minute. My plants are well established seedlings and include; lettuce, spinnage, rocket, fennel, cabbage.

My nutrient is from a supplier, Nutrient A and B. At the moment I feed with an EC value of 0.4. The system is recycled and the nutrients changed once a week.

My questions are;
1) Do you think my feed periods are OK?
2) I realise that some plants require nutrient strength of different EC values. So can I grow this variety of veggies with the same nutrient strengths provided that all the plants are approx at the same stage of their growing cycle?
3) Will a PH of about six be OK?
4) What could be wrong if my plants suddenly go limp?
5) Will aerating my nutrient tank be beneficial, and if so why?

Many thanks.................Lawrence

hydroguy

Lawrence Croeser wrote: My questions are;
1) Do you think my feed periods are OK?
2) I realise that some plants require nutrient strength of different EC values. So can I grow this variety of veggies with the same nutrient strengths provided that all the plants are approx at the same stage of their growing cycle?
3) Will a PH of about six be OK?
4) What could be wrong if my plants suddenly go limp?
5) Will aerating my nutrient tank be beneficial, and if so why?

Many thanks.................Lawrence
Howdy Lawrence,

I'm no expert but I'll help where I can based on my experinces:

1) hydroton has extremely little moisture retention capabilities as compared to say rockwool, coir or some of the newer mediums. 7 minutes per day for hydroton is a bit low IMHO.

2) no clue as to EC values, sorry. New to world of veggies myself and will have to learn this one as I go.

3) your right on the money when it comes to ph. Range of 5.5 - 6.5 is where you want to be, fine job on that one.

4) Lack of moisture would be my first guess here, along with root zone temps.

5) Aeration is there solely to increase the DO (disolved oxygen) levels of your nute solution. Really important with DWC etc. but with top feed and flood drain systems there is plenty of O2 surrounding the roots as it is. Not necessary IMHO for your system.

Hope some of this helps Lawrence,

hydroguy

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”