supagirl277

how should I start my indoor backups?

I need to start some backup plants indoors just in case my vine plants decide not to start. How should I start/take care of these. I don't have very sunny spots in my house.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is there a reason you put this in the hydroponics forum? Were you thinking about starting things hydroponically?

In any case, whether you are growing in soil or in water, there is one simple answer:

LIGHTS! It is difficult to get seedlings well started indoors without supplemental lighting. Ordinary fluorescent tubes in shop light fixtures work just fine.

Type seed starting into the Search the Forum feature and find tons of information about this.

supagirl277

haha sorry. I guess I got mixed up on what it was. thanks a lot I was wondering what type of lighting to use.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

hydroponics is soilless growing in water. A lot of times done totally indoors, growing plants to maturity/ fruition under lights with nothing but water, added nutrients and light. Pretty amazing actually, but very technical. You have to have the right equipment and know how.

the.grow.doctor

I think hydroponics although it can be, doesn't have to be expensive or technical, and using the usfull parts of hydroponics can be the difference between enjoying your outside garden and not!

Fluros are a great way to raise seeds or cuttings in a fraction of the time it would take under the sun, although a standard house fluro would work, you should replace the tubes, with very inexpensive sylvania grow lux tubes, and you now have the best light for propergation, using the correct tube in the fluro will have your seeds ready for planting about 3 to 4 times quicker than in the sun and so your healthy seedlings are never far away.

I don't think growing soilless is the best way to describe hydroponics, it is all about using inert medium, medium without any organic value, as you can there for, control the strenth and type of nutrient that you feed your plants rather than relying on what organic matter is in your soil.

There are very similar to soil mediums that hold water like soil and can be hand fed every other day, but have no organic value making it true hydroponics, but without using expensive recerculating systems, resivoirs, pupms, etc. They are called Terra, or Coco. Using this medium in a cheap pot, hand feeding a good neutrient with a hps light is a very cheap and effective way of growing your fav plants, and all you need to monitor is the ph level of the neutrient you are feeding and you are growing hydroponically, its that easy, and from there you can take it as far as you want.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”