JWSJ
Newly Registered

Beginner hyproponic questions

I've put together a bucket system similar to the one at the link:

https://www.hydroponics-simplified.com/support-files/mini-bucket-bubbler-pdf.pdf

My tomateo plant is doing fine.

The link mentions the "50% method" for changing the water/nutrients solution. I've been unable to locate any further information on this method.

Is this the best method considering the system?

What alternative methods are there?

malkore
Cool Member

Well if you had the equipment to measure the nutrients left in the water, you could refill with water and just the nutrient ratio/amounts you needed.

the 'easy' way is to remove and replace a set amount of water and nutrient solution on a regular schedule.

typically you lose more water than nutrients, which increases not only the nutrient solution, but TDS as well (calcium, water/mineral hardness, etc).

The more TDS, the quicker you build scale on pumps, and also have adverse plant reactions.

JWSJ
Newly Registered

malkore wrote:Well if you had the equipment to measure the nutrients left in the water, you could refill with water and just the nutrient ratio/amounts you needed.
Is such measuring equipment available to the general public?

malkore
Cool Member

Yes indeed.

Ideally you'll want to test both pH and also TDS (total dissolved solids).

TDS tells you how concentrated the solution is and pH is pretty important to hydroponics, especially using RO water since that has no real buffering capacity like tap water or soil.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”