Halfway
Green Thumb

Hydrogardener wrote:Here is the overflow tube, which is adjustable. I do not recommend drilling holes in the bottom of the tray, but do what you think is best. I add the algaecide as a precaution, as there is little, if any, liquid remaining on the bottom of the tray if you have is leveled correctly.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/overflow.jpg[/img]
Thanks

My drain plug is similar, but I notice it has a small lip that prevents the tray from completely draining. I have tapped a couple holes and leveled it as to drain the entire tray.

I think I will have to adjust the timing a bit, but the pump compensates the drain holes and still fills quickly.

I used alot of your info in fabricating my system. I'll get some photos up as I get it situated where I want it.

I cut holes in the tray lid and the pots hang from it as opposed to setting on their bottoms. The overflow triggers at the halfway point of the pot. I can see the roots laying in the bottom of the tray once they begin running,

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

There are many ways to construct a system, so go with what works for you. I find open trays an advantage as I can put large, small and different shaped pots in them.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Hydrogardener wrote:There are many ways to construct a system, so go with what works for you. I find open trays an advantage as I can put large, small and different shaped pots in them.
Nice job on the new grow room HG (from your blog).

Are the ebb and flow systems open-topped as the one's in this thread?

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Thanks, and yes the ebb and flow systems are open. The system on the far right is closed. The net pots are fed by a pump which runs one hour on, five hours off. Actually, the ebb and flow systems are restaurant bus tubs. They cost about three bucks each and are very durable.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Hydrogardener wrote:Thanks, and yes the ebb and flow systems are open. The system on the far right is closed. The net pots are fed by a pump which runs one hour on, five hours off. Actually, the ebb and flow systems are restaurant bus tubs. They cost about three bucks each and are very durable.
Forgive my newbish questions, but how do you keep the algae from growing as eventually the roots will escape the nets and the water remains exposed to the lights?

You may have answered this before, but I'm still scratching my head as keeping light from the nutrient mix is a pretty big deal.

Nice lighting by the way....are you running a mix of red and blue in the T5 setup? The hydro shop has a 4 tube, 48 inch T5 VHO system with 2 red / 2 blue for $159. My T8 system of 6 tubes at 6500k seems to be fine for the moment (and the money - $40 total)

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Halfway wrote:[quote=

Forgive my newbish questions, but how do you keep the algae from growing as eventually the roots will escape the nets and the water remains exposed to the lights?

You may have answered this before, but I'm still scratching my head as keeping light from the nutrient mix is a pretty big deal.

Nice lighting by the way....are you running a mix of red and blue in the T5 setup? The hydro shop has a 4 tube, 48 inch T5 VHO system with 2 red / 2 blue for $159. My T8 system of 6 tubes at 6500k seems to be fine for the moment (and the money - $40 total)
I have so little problems with algae I don't even bother to think about it. The systems drain pretty much completely, and I have the tiles to elevate the pots from the little liquid that does remain. (Home Depot, sixteen cents each) The roots have never grown algae on them. As the canopy grows it will inhibit light from getting to the bottom of the system. You can use an algaecide if you need to. Use a few milliliters of something like HTH spa non foaming algaecide per gallon.

No, I am not running a mix of colors in the T5, and never have. I have grown many flowers and tomatoes successfully with the 6400K tubes. Eventually I am going with only LED lighting.

Halfway
Green Thumb

HydroGardener,

Your recent blog posts and the results of the LED UFO / new grow room are spectacular. Looking forward to continued posts.

Is the UFO still holding it's own?

Daniel888
Newly Registered

nice system.. thanks for the link to your blog.. very nice

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”