emerald7
Cool Member

What kind of light bulbs can be used with timers?

Hello. I'm not doing hydroponics (indoor containers with soil & lights), but since this is a lighting question I'm posting it here.

I'm using a ceiling light (105W 6500K fluorescent, equivalent to 400W of incandescent) for my plants at the moment, and I'm at home every day so I'm just switching the light on and off manually. However, I do want to be able to leave the house for a few days so I want to get a timer that I can plug a different light (probably a standing lamp) into. I have found some timers that look appropriate.

However, I did notice that when I got my light bulbs that I'm using right now, it says on the box "cannot be used with timers"... I got a couple of different bulbs from the same company and both say "cannot be used with timers". So... I am wondering. Can CFLs just not be used with timers at all? Or is it just these particular lightbulbs... Or can they be used with timers, and the company is just putting a disclaimer in case of fire etc. Or what is the deal on this. Can metal halide or high-pressure sodium bulbs be used with timers? I am getting the impression that MH or HPS light bulbs can't be screwed into a normal standing lamp fixture. So... I really am not sure where to go with this.

Those of you who know about timers, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

The instructions usually read not to use DIGITAL timers. I suspect it is because digital timers use a relay to apply power. Mechanical timers apply power by mechanical means, the same as your light switch. I purchase mechanical timers from Harbor Freight for about nine dollars, and have used them for years. Also, for a small light like yours I have used an inexpensive mechanical timer from Home Depot. Actually, I prefer mechanical timers, as they are reliable, and much much easier to program. You might want to read the instructions again.

emerald7 wrote:Hello. I'm not doing hydroponics (indoor containers with soil & lights), but since this is a lighting question I'm posting it here.

I'm using a ceiling light (105W 6500K fluorescent, equivalent to 400W of incandescent) for my plants at the moment, and I'm at home every day so I'm just switching the light on and off manually. However, I do want to be able to leave the house for a few days so I want to get a timer that I can plug a different light (probably a standing lamp) into. I have found some timers that look appropriate.

However, I did notice that when I got my light bulbs that I'm using right now, it says on the box "cannot be used with timers"... I got a couple of different bulbs from the same company and both say "cannot be used with timers". So... I am wondering. Can CFLs just not be used with timers at all? Or is it just these particular lightbulbs... Or can they be used with timers, and the company is just putting a disclaimer in case of fire etc. Or what is the deal on this. Can metal halide or high-pressure sodium bulbs be used with timers? I am getting the impression that MH or HPS light bulbs can't be screwed into a normal standing lamp fixture. So... I really am not sure where to go with this.

Those of you who know about timers, any thoughts?

Thanks.

emerald7
Cool Member

How do mechanical timers work? The ones I saw online had a big dial... I couldn't really tell how they work.

What is the difference in terms of a 'relay timer' and a mechanical one... why would a relay timer be a problem?

Alan in Vermont

I can't understand why a relay, a semi-conductor, a mechanical timer or a manual switch should make a lick of difference to any sort of lamp.

In general you can't use dimmers with any sort of flourescent bulb as they are voltage sensitive. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that, wherever the labeling was printed, nobody knows the difference between timer and dimmer.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

I was not intending to get into electronic theory but I will try to explain. A mechanical timer works like a light switch, one leg of the circuit is broken when it is off, and a conductor closes the leg just like holding two ends of a wire together. I hope you get the idea. A relay is an electromagnetic switch with a small current flowing through a coil that creates a magnetic field that pulls one contact to or from the other. The mechanical timer would better handle the surge of the light coming on. Have you checked the instructions?

Here is a mechanical timer. Cost about nine dollars and will handle two devices.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/timer.jpg[/img]

malkore
Cool Member

digital timer vs. electronic is the issue.

since CF bulbs are still considered 'fancy' I think the manf. expected a 'fancy' digital timer.

I've run CF bulbs (22.5" long 65watts) over aquariums for years using $5 'heavy duty' timers. No problems.

I tried to put a screw-in CF bulb in a motion sensing light that uses the same kind of electrical relay as a digital timer, and this just causes the self contained ballast to rapidly flicker the bulb. I suspect the same problems occur with a digital timer and CF bulbs.

emerald7
Cool Member

Thanks for the info. So I guess that if I get a mechanical timer, chances are good that I could still run a CFL on it. (There are no further instructions with the light bulbs... it just says 'no timers or dimmers' on the box.)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

A mechanical timer can be used for anything. They literally just supply power and disconect power, just like pluging and unpluging a cord.

You'll notice all mechanical timers have a dial. This is because that dial slowly turns all day long, at exactly one revolution per 24hours. You then place pegs on the dial, or move pegs around the dial. There's two kinds of pegs, an on peg and an off peg. They both just flip a switch when they rotate around(either on or off). That flipping of the switch is what turns the light(or other device) on or off. Because it's just like flipping a switch on a power strip, it can be used for anything, including cfls.

applestar
Mod

This kind of funny. I was eye-ing programmable digital timers, but the economy of mechanical timers won the day. (There's no need for complex programming in this application afterall) So I never even *knew* that this potential problem existed. :lol: I'll file under "useful knowledge" though. Thanks!

emerald7
Cool Member

applestar wrote:This kind of funny. I was eye-ing programmable digital timers, but the economy of mechanical timers won the day. (There's no need for complex programming in this application afterall) So I never even *knew* that this potential problem existed. :lol: I'll file under "useful knowledge" though. Thanks!
Yeah, I typically like digital stuff too, so I would have gotten a digital timer if I hadn't posted this. But, mechanical stuff can be better... for example I have a temperature/humidity meter that is digital, and there is no way to calibrate it if it is off. If it was one of the kind that just has a needle to show the temperature, usually you can calibrate those manually.

serial_killer

Some digital timers will work fine with CFL's I have one that does. Just check the package of the timer, most will say right on the front "CFL Ready"

Ruby01
Newly Registered

You'll notice all mechanical timers have a dial. This is because that dial slowly turns all day long, at exactly one revolution per 24hours. You then place pegs on the dial, or move pegs around the dial. There's two kinds of pegs, an on peg and an off peg. They both just flip a switch when they rotate around(either on or off). That flipping of the switch is what turns the [url=https://www.sourcingmap.com/spotlight-c-1137_1949.html]energy light bulbs[/url] (or other device) on or off. Because it's just like flipping a switch on a power strip, it can be used for anything, including cfls.
I use a 24 hour plug home power switch to control my light bulbs and other electrical appliances. No hassle of getting a mechanical timer.

emerald7
Cool Member

Just an update... I got that exact timer recommended by Hydrogardener, and it works fine for CFLs.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”