JerseyBonsai

macro and micro nutrients for bonsai?

hello everyone
(can't get enough of this place)

I know because bonsai is grown in small pots and typically in inorganic material, either partially or completely hydroponic (right?), we have to supply it with it's nutrients. This is where our fertilizers come into play. So I was wondering what liquid fertilizer will provide all the necessary required for great overall health. I've read in numerous places while Miracle-Gro is great for development, typically in hydroponics the plant will need a little more. So I know all about NPK, but what about all those other micro nutrients? Iron, Zinc, etc...

-Drew

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Commercially prepared hydroponic nutrients normally contain all of the essential elements. You might look into the General Hydroponics Flora three part series, which is available in quarts. It can be adjusted for different stages of growth. For bonsai you most likely would be better off using half the recommended strength. Good luck. :)

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Out of curiosity I have transplanted one of my bonsai into a hydroponic medium consisting of perlite and coco coir. I am going to feed it the same nutrients that I use for peppers. The plant needs to be trimmed, however it is getting ready to flower right now, so I will postpone any trimming.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/bonsai2.jpg[/img]

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

My test bonsai not only survived having the soil removed from the roots and being transferred to hydroponic growing, it is actually thriving.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/42310.jpg[/img]

Momg
Newly Registered

I have a whole new outlook on bonsai! It seems that most on this site do keep bonsai in inorganic medium.. a new idea to me.
I have a fertilizer which came with a gift bonsai.. called Bonsai Pro.. It is 7-9-5 and urea free.
Came from Brussels Bonsai Nursery in Mississippi..

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”