serial_killer

transplanting from soil to hydro

I am wondering if a plant would be able to survive being gently drug up and having their roots washed off and planted into hydroton from soil. I have done it on young plants that I started in soil then moved to hydro but now I want to dig up some well established mint and move them to hydro. I could try to clone, but if the plant can survive/recover quickly then I would have a ready to harvest plant in just a short time as opposed to a plant I would have to grow up from a baby.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Usually no. Usually causes too much shock to the system. Works with babies as they are "prepared" for shock as they first start to grow. That, and a developed plant grown in soil won't have water roots like a hydroponically grown plant, which could make things go wrong.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's a long shot.

hermit825

I think the type of plant has a lot to do with the chance for success mint is a pretty hardy plant almost weedlike. I would take a cutting just in case, and once the cutting has made it, go 4 the transition, Sure would like to hear the results...!

Bill

BlackDynamite
Newly Registered

hermit825 wrote:I think the type of plant has a lot to do with the chance for success mint is a pretty hardy plant almost weedlike. I would take a cutting just in case, and once the cutting has made it, go 4 the transition, Sure would like to hear the results...!

Bill
I'm in agreement.
You would want to simply clone them and anyway, with a really good system your clones would be as large as the donors within a month or two.

If you transplanted, I hope you have a fair amount to transplant as this will provide at least some that survive. I suppose if it's a large plant and you've inoculated the roots with healthy fungus, your survival rate of transplants would be really high.

malkore
Cool Member

I'd say its not outside the realm of possibility. I've taken pepper plants started in soil, moved to a full aeroponic setup for 6-8 weeks, then put them outside in dirt.

Yeah they looked terrible for a while, but once they put out roots for soil, they took off and I had a good harvest.

I didn't even harden them up either. Went from basement and a metal halide to south facing Nebraska sun and poor clay soil.

If a plant can go from water to dirt, it can go from dirt to water.

Just know that it might completely die off. cloning seems like the safest bet.

love11

ive taken plants befor grew them in soil first then put them in hydro

Things to consider uprooting the plant make shure you get all the roots up

then wash the roots with water get all the soil off the roots dubble check.

then you need to stick the roots threw a net pot with out hydroton in it.

so the plants roots all in diffrent sides of the net pot just push them threw then pull them threw. then put the stem centerd in the net pot hold it still then fill the remains of the net pot with hydroton.

then put the roots in your system and make shure you start out with 1/2 deluted solution. I would use organics. less burns.

next in a week you should see a change in the newly grown plants leafs they should be much lighter then the ones grown in soil this is ok.

just mist the leafs with a water sprayer and in 2 and a half 3 weeks you can go to full strenth nutes and see high amount of growth.

t

the.grow.doctor

It is possible to transplant however it will never be optimum which will afect your yeild and quality at the end, if you take cuttings from the mother plant, although it will take a little longer, they will be optimum from the start, and would probably out perform the mother in those areas, if yeild and quality are not prioritys then it is fine to transplant from soil to hydroponic medium. For me, if your spending the time and money running lights and controling the enviroment with non-organic medium (hydroten) and neutrients you might as well make the most of it!

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”