healthyfruit

drain to waste? whats the diff?

1the recirculation method,
2compared to top feed once through method?

I don't get it,

iv been reading on how to save water(global warming type of guy :))

and I don't see why the recirculation method wouldnt be the better way to save water,

once through method sounds like it will need more water overall?, like once through method, I have to feed 3 times a day lets say id have to fill up the rez 3 times a day?

if I was recirulatin I wouldnt need to fill up the rez for a few days?..

when I was at the hydro shop showing the guy my tomatoes and the MOLDY(AHHHH) Figs I grew outside, he was saying to me that farmers do the once through method, it saves water..

like how is that possible ?...seems like BS

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, but I don't have the faintest idea what we are talking about. You posted this under Flower Gardening and Garden Design, but it sounds like maybe it should be under Water Gardening?

Is this about hydroponic systems? Clearly you are asking about whether you can recirculate/ reuse the water in some kind of system. Recirculating/ reusing water isn't an option in your average flower bed, mother nature just sucks the water in and there's no way to get it back.

So give us a little better clue what kind of system you are talking about (where do "drains" come in?) and what the question is...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sounds more like it's about hydroponics to me. Is that right, healthyfruit?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
Is this about hydroponic systems?
that's what I was thinking too... but the question isn't real clear to me.. maybe you can answer it better, Kisal.

healthyfruit

yes a hydroponic system.

healthyfruit

like say you had a big rez, it would take more water to keep refilling it with once through method, I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

mod can you move this to the right section?..

ill move it to the watering section, you can delete this if you want!

serial_killer

Sounds like the guy either didnt know what he was talking about, or was confused. Drain to waste will use more water and nutes cause every time you need to feed you have to use all new. Your right in your thinking. Personally I would never run a drain to waste system. I'm sure there are some advantages, as someone took the time to invent it, but I don't see them.

Really the only advantage I can even come up with is that using drain to waste would allow you to use the nute mix to water some other plants that were in soil, once it drained off the plants in the hydro system.

BlackDynamite
Newly Registered

I'm not an expert but have hobbied in hydropincs for about the last 10 years off and on when life isn't too busy.

I'm not an expert but here is what I can relay to you.

By once through, he probably meant one feeding cycle per day. The limited circulation means far less evaporation and they don't drink as much but, your plants aren't going to get very big.

I've never heard of anyone why a hydroponic garden NOT circulating their nutrient solution. To not do so would not only be pointless but so expensive it would be counterproductive as you would not save money growing your own food or make enough selling your produce.

Most nutrient baths need topped off about once a week. Between the plants drinking and evaporation, even in a well sealed system, there is a lot of loss.

A good system in a clean environment, you should flush clean it with a little dish soap and a lot of clean water about every 2 weeks. Sometimes you can get away with going longer but, I always notice that if I wait too long, the plants start to stunt in growth and as soon as I flush the system, they flourish within a couple hours.

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”