serial_killer

I just started my own aquaponics experiment! I'm trying basil,which I hear will be a little harder than lettuce, plus I'm using Opal Basil on top of that (even slower to grow and needs more P that green.) Its hard to get pond fish around here this time of year, I had to go with big gold fish.

I also have some extra lettuce seedlings in case it fails, I can stick some of that in there. I have ButterCrunch started to replace what I just cut from my F&D table.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Whoever wrote this does not have a clue:
"A better bet would be to set up some shelves with grow lights and buy some potting soil and if they have it some compost as well as some manure and grow your plants indoors with the grow lights in pots. A lot cheaper,and not nearly as much hassle, and a tonne more flavour."

If you follow this advice you will be inviting all kinds of pests into your house, and indoor garden.

CNN a few months back listed the ten most dangerous items in today's diet, and at the very top of the list was salad greens. I know this for a fact as my wife and I became very very sick a few years ago after consuming bagged spring mix salad greens. Never again!

Naturally, agri-business interests jumped right to defense mode when the posting appeared on CNN. However, with modern transportation you really have no idea of where, or how, your greens were grown!

I have been growing my own greens for several years. The greens have never had any insecticides, or fecal matter applied to them, and are so clean they do not have to be washed prior to use.

There is more than a pound of lettuce in the photo attached, and it is consumed within a few days of harvest. I estimate it costs me about twenty five cents to produce a head of lettuce, and here in upstate New York, in February, lettuce is going for two dollars a head.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/lettuce.jpg[/img]

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”