satch6693
Newly Registered

problem with lettuce

hi,

I have NFT hydroponic system. my lettuce keep growing very leggy, long stem and leaves are not crunchy and very soft.
how can I correct this?? I am using Masterblend, 4-18-38 wtih epsom salt and calcium mag, ratio of 2-2-1 tsp/5 gallon of water.

applestar
Mod

I’m pretty sure lettuce needs high nitrogen fertilizer — your masterblend looks more like a bloom/fruit booster. So if by “leggy” you mean it’s growing a central stalk instead of remaining compact, then they are trying to grow a flowerstalk — when growing lettuce, you need to do your best to keep them from maturing to that phase.

But if they are leggy as in long skinny limp leaves, then I would say they are not getting enough light — intensity and/or duration, and they would probably benefit from air movement from an oscillating fan.

What is the temperature range? If it’s getting too hot, 80’s+ then lettuce growing season is over and you need to switch to heat tolerant crop.

...btw “leaves not crunchy” — this depends on variety too — what are you growing?

Return to “HYDROPONICS FORUM”