SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Back Pond Planting Advice needed

OK, A while back I said I would start a thread asking for advice on plants around my pond.

I started working on the back pond this week, here's what I got so far.

I installed a new filter, tweaked the waterfall, tore out all the tiger lilies and put them up on the hill.
What I have up against the fence is an April Remembered Camellia. This is the 2nd year that this plant has bloomed in 6 years, it's actually starting to fill in and look a bit healthier.
The first few years I couldn't keep the dog out from behind there and she pretty much damaged the plant but it's coming back now.
I ordered a Bee Balm for the playhouse end.
I removed the rocks in front of the pond, planted some phlox and put the rocks back, I also have chives and oregano here.

For this time of year, the area against the playhouse gets full afternoon sun, maybe 12 - 5
The area in front of the fence gets full sun from about 1 - 5

Here is the pond in 2012

I installed a float for auto filling, Note the oregano, I really like the oregano as a fill in plant, but looks ratty in the winter, the phlox fills in nice and doesn't die back.

2106 WINTER

Here it is yesterday.

I was thinking a bee balm in the corner to fill in that area up to the Camellia, but not sure if I should put the bee balm up against the playhouse and let it fill in? but after that I'm stumped. I also want something to contrast the fence to the right of the Camellia.
The playhouse will be painted in the fall an will be a darker yellow also.

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure if bee balm is the best choice here. Many-most get powdery mildew, some grow up to about 3 feet tall (and can flop over), and the flowers need to be dead headed. All in all, better in more open area with easy access.

Did you ditch the ditch lilies (wild daylilies)? A shorter cultivar that blooms longer season might be a better fit?

If short if what you need, then heuchera is another easy care. Choice of colorful foliages, and when in bloom, attractive to bees and hummingbirds.

I could see creeping phlox here....
...would love to see something with blue-green or dusty green foliage against the reddish fence... If camellia is protected enough here, maybe rosemary? Are we looking at moist soil here? Most other blue green plants that come to mind (lavender, sage, lambs ears, etc. ) are drought tolerant -- I was thinking rosemary might also benefit from the increased humidity in the air.

Bright to medium green would work better against the playhouse color even after painted darker yellow. Purple and pink flowers will play well with both colors. But maybe would divide into white on the fence side, reds and oranges on the playhouse side.....

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I will definitely be adding the Rosemary in the back up against the fence.
Those were tiger lilies, but I did have day lilies there a few years back that done poorly, they never die back but always look shabby, they are up on my herb garden now.
Here they are to the far right of the photo, next to the rock that has 130.

I would like something that gets as tall as the tiger lilies.2-4 feet would be perfect
What about lavender in place of the bee balm, or next to it?

imafan26
Mod

If you are going to paint the playhouse, keep the plants in pots so you can get them out of the way to paint.
I don't know about the camelia. In the long run it will need to be moved when it gets bigger. It does become a tree and the area is narrow.
I think phlox is a good suggestion. Daylily will also work. Some kind of ornamental grass (although the clump will have to be kept small to fit the space. Sedum would be a good trailing plant.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:If you are going to paint the playhouse, keep the plants in pots so you can get them out of the way to paint.
I don't know about the camelia. In the long run it will need to be moved when it gets bigger. It does become a tree and the area is narrow.
I think phlox is a good suggestion. Daylily will also work. Some kind of ornamental grass (although the clump will have to be kept small to fit the space. Sedum would be a good trailing plant.
Holy Chit, I did not know that about the camellia!

I wont do grass again, I planted lemongrass and it took off.

I'll keep the oregano, chives and Phlox to fill the front.
Put Rosemary #2 and maybe Sage #3 in the back to the right of the Camellia. #2 #3
Carrots to the far right by the filter (ornamental not for harvesting) if they fit.
Put a Swamp Milkweed to the left of the Camelia (corner) #1

My intention was to bring in more insects I don't know if the rosemary helps in that regard but would love to be able to overwinter some Rosemary.
The sage is supposed to flower, Mine is on its third year and no flowers yet, hopefully it will soon.
I'm gonna go for the Bee Balm as I can reach it pretty good for pruning.

imafan26
Mod

To bring in more insects plant basil. It is an annual, but will fit the space if it can get 4-6 hours of sun. if you allow the basil to bloom it will attract beneficial insects. Alyssum, coriander, cosmos, coreopsis, rudbeckia and most fragrant flat single flowers that bloom in the day. Tubular flowers attract butterflies and moths. The pond will attract frogs and toads. You will need to provide a shallow tray or space filed with pebbles for the insects to take a drink. Only mosquitoes can stand on water.

Rosemary has insect repelling properties and it only blooms in summer. Select plants that provide pollen and nectar over a long period of time and a variety of plants for a better diet.

Return to “Water Gardening”