applestar
Mod

Re: My pond project is under way

Thanks @SQWIB!! It would be great if I could pick your brains. :wink: If it’s OK with you, I’m going to start posting my vague ideas and project references, and I would love to get some pointers from you and anyone else who knows, on how these might be achieved specifically— materials and parts I would need — or shoot holes and tell me they are not practical.

For now, very generally speaking,
- the bio filter will be made from that purple dinosaur kiddie pool used as gravel bed/bog garden
:arrow: https://www.pondtrademag.com/bog-gravel ... er-nature/

- waterfall will be made from/by burying a Rubbermaid Tub (looks like/size of a medium kitchen trash can but sturdier

- in both cases, I will be using airlift pumps (I have yet to build a serious one however, but my little spitter works on very basic idea of this principle — stick an air tube in side of larger water tube
:arrow: How to make my high lift/submergence ratio airlift pump. Lets rewrite the textbooks! - YouTube

— ‘waterfall’ just needs to pump up and fill — more volume for more interesting flow but I can live with just a trickling — I will probably use this as first test
— the bog/biofilter pmp will be the stronger one to push the water through with some force and fill a bigger volume, so I intend to dig deeper/bigger hole for a larger slim-can, and build a full-featured airlift pump but out of 2 inch rather than 4 inch diameter if I can.
— but for these, I need fully pressured bubble chamber)
:arrow: original Dutch design - Airliftsturing samengevat - Koivrienden
:arrow: OlomanaGardensAquaponicsSystem - YouTube

— thinking of building of of these gravel beds on the patio to replace the 4 ft windowbox that is starting to fall apart as a trial

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Here is an upflow veggie filter for my Koi Pond. I feel that an upflow and longer dwell time are very important to get the best out of a veggie filter.

Underlayment and pond liner are installed. Up flow pipe slotted. These slots will face downwards. The slot spacing gets longer the closer you get to the feed end.

The plumbing is put together and glued. I Siliconed the feed pipe in place and need to wait twenty four hours to cure. I used Dow Coring 732 Black silicone, I wanted to use 832 but only had a tube of 732. The 832 has a stronger adhesion.

Feed for the Veggie filter

Drain and Feed plumbing

This is the veggie filter feed and drain, a small aquarium power-head is hooked up to the up flow tube. The pump that feeds the veggie filter sits about 6" below the water surface in the lower pond, just in case the pond flow tubes were to be clogged. the Worst case scenario would be the veggie filter world overflow until the lower ponds water dropped below the filter and the pond loosing 6 inches of water, leaving thirty inches of water.

Scrubbies for Bio-media

Another layer of bio-media

I usually grow peppers in here.

to winterize I remove the fill hose to drain and cover with a cedar plank and we usually put mums and pumpkins on this.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I also built another small veggie filter for flowers, this is not an upfeed, it feeds through the top, this drains into the lower veggie filter.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

For my Koi Pond I decided against a waterfall because I didn't want to much disturbance on top of the water so you can enjoy watching the fish, but wanted to add more filtration and not take up space inside the pond.

So this is what I came up with. Sitting on the edge of the pond is a Wendy Filter.This is an upfill design, it fills through a pipe in the top, flows to the bottom and swirls around as it fills and filters through two layers of Black Matala then a layer of Green Matala, a bunch of pot scrubbers, then a bunch of Bio-balls.
Once it's filled, it overflows into another pipe then flows down and out of the planter.

This is the sitting area across from the koi pond, I keep food for the fish by the bench so the neighbors can sit here and feed the fish.

My original plan was to grow something out of the top, but decided against it, instead, I covered the top in blue filter media and topped with some artificial flowers.

applestar
Mod

The frogs were out today... 78°F... and so was the snake!

applestar
Mod

This is the kind of project I’m least good at — I’m so impatient to begin, but I know I really should set all design details beforehand. It will be interesting to see when I will realize I forgot something important....

@SQWIB — yours has most of the elements I’m looking for — thanks! — just need to fit to my space and work out the details.

... start small ... test material and design ideas ... before starting. I do know I need 1.5-2” pipes for the bog filter, and I would like to use garden hose for any surface runs, so will need adapter fittings to connect. The main airlift needs to be as wide diameter as I can make it at the collector end on the bottom, but reduce down to the bog filter for compressive force, so maybe 2-3 inches depending on fittings available for them.

I might find myself in the pvc pipes tubes and fittings aisle just trying different sizes and styles until I have what I need — who would have the most variety I wonder?

Last I looked Home Depot has only very limited specific sizes and styles/materials.... There IS a plumbing supply house near here, but they had the opposite problem - very open/crowded bewildering shelves and bins and you had to tell them exactly what you needed.

applestar
Mod

Still trying different ideas for the airlift pump designs as detailed in this thread
:arrow: Subject: Airlift pump design -ideas-

...as you can see in the recent photos, I moved the purple dinosaur sandbox which will become the bog/gravel bio-filter and in the process, added blocks under the liner to support it along the pond edge... AND have managed to develop some poison ivy rash on my right forearm for the effort. :x

We had 2 inches of rain yesterday — the pond is full and so is the sandbox which I actually need to empty or at least near-empty to drill and fit with a trickle drain pipe ... and possibly add another block under the middle of it to support it better... so I took a break today.

The water was clear to the bottom this morning in spite of all the sediment stirring I did yesterday

This is a good time to review how the pond floor is shaped, I think ... photos from Nov. 2015 —

applestar
Mod

Yay! Finally had the time and energy to make some progress on the bog/gravel filter and the current version of the airlift pump (turbo = compression fitted air chamber with drilled “airstone” holes).

- Couple of days ago? I detached the bog tubing from the pump so the bog would drain into the pond

- This morning, I bailed what was left in the bog — there were still enough to fill two 4.5 gal kitty litter buckets and some more, but I was able to tip it up and over to empty.

- As I feared, the middle of the purple dinosaur sandbox was starting to bottom out due to insufficient support, so I put another flat cinderblock (actually I learned its a stacking stove pipe chimney block) in the center where I hadn’t been able to put it before, and added a couple more bricks as well. (ultimately, I’m going to stuff subsoil that comes out of the holes I will be digging under there)

- To create a trickle drain, I drilled holes in the inner and outer walls to fit a grommet for a 1/2” tubing (I did need to be able to get to the underside to properly fit the grommet, so emptying the bog was a necessary step

- (...and I just now realized I forgot to take pictures... but) I pulled out the turbo airlift pump and attached the gravel tray water intake on one side of the tee and my diy mayo jar intake on the other side.
This is what I’m calling a “gravel tray” (don’t know if the pump that it came with is still working....)

- I had some trouble setting the tray down on the step and the base of the pump on the very bottom of the pond, but I managed to get it to at least half depth, and started tinkering

- I needed to add an extra couple of elbows for the bog filter distribution pipe, then had to twist it this way and that way — eventually finding a perfect angle to lay the pipe flat on the bottom, more or less on the opposite side from the drain

- the air escape module was still giving me problems — I tried out the idea to capture the small burps and gurgles of water by connecting it directly to the turtle spitter, but no matter what I did, as soon as I connected the 1/2 inch, the bog distribution pipe started bubbling like a hot tub... and the steadily pouring drain reduced to a trickle then drips and stopped

- I tried out leaving it open and reducing to a 1/2 inch pipe to gurgle and burp — a larger version of the turtle spitter, and considered finding a fitting to reduce further to make it squirt ... and, instead, found a fountainhead in my bag of odds and ends. I had to be a bit clever to create a tight fit, but yep, it worked

...it’s not a steady fountain since what comes out is a lot of air and occasional gurgle and burst of excess water (every 5-20 seconds with pretty good sized spray once in a while). It does make enough watery, drippy noises and spray bursts of water that I think it will be attractive to the hummingbirds

- I only had one bag of gravel, so I piled them up along the distribution pipe. I think I will need 3 more bags.

- Once the turbo airlift pump was running for a while through this setup, the pond water started to really clear up ... enough for me to see the gravel tray — it was stuck at an angle on the step wall — and I could see why — there was a sunken stick blocking it. With the stick removed, I was able to settle the tray flat on the step

- It turned out that the angle of the elbows and pipes made minute differences in the turbo airlift performance. With the fountain head as well as the water outlet to the bog tubing adjusted, the drain pours in a steady stream that makes steady water sounds as it falls into the pond. This will attract wildlife in general

Here’s the pond now, viewed from upstairs window:

...I am in serious pain — back muscles and core muscles in particular — but I am really pleased with the progress so far

...oh BTW, I found the little snake’s NEW hiding spot — haha — I was going to get a couple of bricks from under a temporarily placed flagstone, and tilted it up ... and there it was, coiled and looking put out. At least I’ve found out that it has moved away from the waterfall mound and the pond liner, so this means I can dig there now.

applestar
Mod

I’ve been researching ideas for the waterfall mound contouring and weir assembly and geyser airlift well and skimmer weir assembly designs. I did fiddle with the bog/gravel filter drain pipe to hide it with a few rocks and have the water drip from the edge. Didn’t have a chance to take a picture yet, though.

...And today, I saw a wet-looking hummingbird preening feathers on the mulberry branch just above the pond. Wondering if she had been playing in the airlift water bursts.

...Having decided to try turning the little airlift pump I made for the turtle spitter upside down, I’ve been working on coming up with an improved design. I tried pricing check valves and swing valves, then looked at half a dozen DIY instructions and videos, managed to cobble together a rudimentary set of pvc fittings and materials (with conclusion that I’m missing a critical fitting) ... and then thought of a simpler design that might work ... and then it occurred to me that maybe all I might need is a flap of rubbery material to glue to a rubber grommet or washer.... I think I can sleep now. :>

applestar
Mod

Had just finished scrubbing the bathtub and taking a shower, and was settling down for the evening around 6:30pm when I noticed a Craigslist free offer for {river rocks 2”-10” ... approx. 2 pickup truck loads}. It was local - my town. It had been posted 4 hours ago. — I had to think about it for a minute ...I was very comfortable... but it was a no-brainer. Fortunately the person wanted to be texted — a quick inquiry and no one had picked them up yet... address was texted back with invitation to back my vehicle up the driveway — the rocks were piled 2 feet away by the garage.

Coaxed DD into helping and we were off. We managed to get about half of the pile in my suv... maybe a little more. :D

...as you can see, we ran out of daylight.

applestar
Mod

I took a picture of the bog/gravel filter drain pipe hidden with/dripping from some rocks ... through one ocular of the binoculars. Note the first lotus flower bud.

...DD said it was more fun to see the black pipe sticking out of the corner of the purple dinosaur’s mouth...

applestar
Mod

It was going to get hot today — in the morning, DD2 and I — mostly DD2 — unloaded the rocks and sorted them by smoothness/roundness, then rinsed them off:

I then prepped where the stones will be stored by the pond — needed to cut down a bunch of volunteer plum and rose of Sharon saplings, pull garlic mustard trying to go to seed, and carefully pull and bag a few overlooked poison ivy, then laid down cardboard over the out-of-control vinca minor. I came inside around noon ...completely wiped out. When I pulled off the nitrile gloves I had worn to protect from poison ivy, it actually started dripping.

DD1 and DD2 braves the heat and moved the rocks to the backyard —

...even though they called it quits with this much remaining, they pushed themselves too hard and both have been suffering from heat exhaustion. Image

applestar
Mod

For some reason, the turbo airlift pump air vent/fountain was spraying higher and looking rather more impressive this morning —
DC228FD1-8DB8-4570-AD62-F79D1DA1132C.gif
DC228FD1-8DB8-4570-AD62-F79D1DA1132C.gif (1.71 MiB) Viewed 15058 times
May be one or more of these factors?
- being spot lighted by rising sun?
- yesterday’s high was 90°F and this morning’s overnight low was 56°F, so warmer than air water?
- atmospheric pressure has been has been rising — 29.7 this morning, 30.0” now
- grackles discovered the gravel bog and has been bathing in the shallows on the gravel covering the dispersal tube. This morning, the gravel was almost all dislodged and tube was uncovered....
- it’s trying to look good so I won’t try to replace it or even disassemble/dismantle it for parts in pursuit of an upgraded design

I made a screen to keep the bog/gravel filter drain pipe from being blocked by floating debris —
- plastic 1 pint strawberry basket covered with purple produce netting, secured in place with a couple of rocks

Unearthed the brown Rubbermaid container that I thought will be perfect for the buried waterfall reservoir. Ended up getting distracted and cleaned out the left front section of the shed..... Swept debris off of the part of the liner that had been preserved for building the waterfall, laid it out to determine/site the position of it, then folded the liner away to plan how to contour the area:

applestar
Mod

I saw a dobsonfly yesterday — they are like the B52 of dragonflies. It was too fast and somehow would not stay where I could take a photo. Only hovered close when I my iPhone was put away. :roll: I did see HER land on the edge and dab at the pond liner and water so maybe laying eggs.

applestar
Mod

This morning, it was NOT open, but when I looked out of the window in the afternoon, the first lotus flower had opened :D

- robin found a submerged rock he can stand on to bathe

applestar
Mod

I upgraded the birds’ bathing areas — multiple robins and grackles are in there every day!

- while moving rocks around, I saw some black round things with wiggling tails swimming around — tadpoles!

- I noticed breast-speckled fledged robins exploring the pond area. I was concerned that they might fall in and drown in the deeper areas, but one stayed in the far-left upper basin that is currently choked with barely moist mud, full of earthworms and slugs and snails — (Once the waterfall is finished, that will become one of the catch basins.) — and 2nd one opted to bathe in the square green tub. :lol:

- The fledged grackles are noisily clamoring to be fed out there. Today, one was being fed something tiny, round and hard-looking scooped up from the liner of the pond — maybe black snails?

applestar
Mod

Snake! There was a commotion on the other side of the pond — I saw the snake thrashing in-out of an open gravel bag, riggling out, then some kind of pure white blob … maybe 2” in diameter … seemed to fly in an arc.

Not sure what I saw — did the snake corner something in the bag? Was the snake cornered in the bag? Could it have been the tail of a bunny I saw?

… then about an hour later, I saw a frog in the pond. I had not seen the green frogs in a while — at least a couple of weeks. Maybe the snake was trying to catch one that was hiding in the groundcover. Maybe it made a mighty leap over the snake. The “white blob” might have been the belly of the frog.

…the storm system that passed through, accompanied with tornado watch and flood warnings, dumped about 1.5 to 2 inches of rain in less than an hour and filled up the pond!

applestar
Mod

applestar
Mod

This gorgeous powder-blue dragonfly came to visit my pond today :D

...definitely...
Species Pachydiplax longipennis - Blue Dasher - BugGuide.Net
https://bugguide.net/node/view/598

Fully mature males are powdery blue with jade-green eyes.

applestar
Mod

My pond project is stalled — I lost my momentum when it got so hot and even though I’m so busy with the garden in full production, I’ve had to cut back to every other day for about 4 hrs max in the garden. Somehow, that’s only enough to harvest, water, trellis/support, prune diseased foliage and weed.

I’m looking at the pond from the open window right now — last nights storm brought the dawn temp down to 66°F and usually on cool mornings the airlift pump’s fountain spurts are higher and looks especially pretty when a stream of rising sun shines through the woods in the back.

But this morning, it’s heavily overcast and foggy with 100% humidity, and although the airlift pump is obviously working since the purple dinosaur bog gravel filter drain is steadily pouring out, and the rope guy lines vibrate and shake every so often, there is hardly any spurt if at all for several cycles, and when it does spurt, maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch spray at most.

I’ve been wondering if atmospheric and water temp difference as well as atmospheric pressure, and in this morning’s case, the air density due to humidity might be affecting the fountain spray performance. The lines and fountainhead could be clogged too, of course.

... the two colors and sizes of water lilies/lotus flowers take turns blooming — sometimes in multiples of as many as 4 or 5. Occasionally the raccoons seem to scatter the blossoms or eat the flower buds and I won’t see blooms for a week or so.

When the flowers end and submerge, are they just dying or making seed pods? Maybe these are not lotuses after all since I thought lotus makes above-water seedpods.

applestar
Mod

- LEFT — Not sure if you can tell from this photo, but the pond water has been very clear all the way to the bottom — I guess the gravel filter is doing its job

- I borrowed from SQWIB’s idea and am keeping some container plants in about 1 inch of water above the gravel in the gravel bog filter. I planted young coffee and some pepper plants in these square 2.5 gal pots from a hydroponics storefront. Although they contain regular potting mix, there are holes along the corner/sides that allow aeration so they kind of act like SIP
- The area is in shade all morning and high noon, but the peppers can take it — this year’s Aji Dulce Amarillo and DK Snacker are producing, along with 3 year old Bolivian Rainbow.

Return to “Water Gardening”