grannyee
Newly Registered

Ok to Use Fishing Pond Water in New Koi Pond?

We live in Oklahoma and are wanting to establish a water garden with Koi. We have a clear fishing pond next to the site where the water garden will be located and are wondering about using the fishing pond water in the water garden. Thoughts are about constantly and slowly recirculating the fishing pond water into the water garden thru a water fall set up. Has anyone had experience with something like this? Does it work or would that be a bad idea? Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

imafan26
Mod

I don't know about doing that, even when you take fish from a pond you cannot just put it in another pond without some acclimating, the water temperature, native bacteria will be different. A lot of times fish raised in aquariums die when they are put in ponds because they are not acclimated to the water or environment. Is the fish coming from the same source water or is this an entirely new set up?

grannyee
Newly Registered

This will be a new setup but I will say that we did overwinter the fish in a small area of the fishing pond last year and they did just fine and grew amazingly. My concern has to do with algae issues in the water garden if we use the fishing pond water flowing continuously thru it. My husband seems to think we won't have an algae problem due to the fact that the water will be continuously moving in and out (at a slow rate). Just wondering if anyone has had experience with such a setup.

Return to “Water Gardening”