Yes it really is annoying! We have always had a problem with algae but that was always string algae that we could control by removing it and with phosphate removal stuff if we had to. And the fish ate it but this is something else altogether!
Did you build this pond yourself?
Did you put gravel, stones or rocks at the bottom of your pond?
Yes we built it ourselves and we put pebbles in the bottom. I would send a picture but I am not sure we can get one.
Do you have a filter on the outside of your pond?
If your filter is attached to your pump, it means that you have only a mechanical filter. This means that the filter has to be cleaned so often that a good strong colony of good bacteria has to start all over to start removing toxins from the water.
The water changes from the bottom of the pond area excellent because it helps to remove some of the toxins.
No we don't. Can we buy a separate filter and attach it to the line from the pump? We can't have more than one power cable.
What toxins are you referring to? Will bacteria remove thing like phosphates that the algae like?
The fish have been fine, even in green water. They only died because I put the hose in the fill it up then forgot about it and ended up flushing the water out several times over. Needless to say they suffered from that.
What kind of plant is this? I've never heard of it before.
It's a water plant endemic to the Cape in South Africa and the name means 'little water flowers'. They're beautiful and grow so easily. They're a bit like water lilies but not related. And you can eat them.
The water seems to be working fine if there are no dead areas. If you want to make sure that the area behind the plant is not a dead area, just spray the hose there to move the water around and this should remove any dead areas that might have been.
We do clean behind there and we fill up to that the water stream floods behind there. The fish love it.
I think that maybe the waterblommetjies have reached critical mass and perhaps are trapping to much debris in the pebbles. We also have a problem in spring and summer with millions of little blossoms clogging up the filter from our Viburnum
but we can't help that except to empty the filter twice a week.