shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

Is it possible to trade for water plants?

I have just installed a 225 gallon double kidney which I would like to get going with some water plants. Where I live (Zone 5) it's difficult to find a retailer, much less one that actually knows anything about what they're selling.

Is it possible to trade for water plants, or seeds of them? I'd rather stick with people who know what they're doing!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

The only thing I know you have to be cautious about when trading/selling water plants is whether they are legal or not. Some plants like Water Hyacinth can't be shipped to many states. I grow it along with pondweed, anacharis, dwarf lily, hornwort, frogbit, duckweed, and some other tiny flowing plant. I have been wanting to get water lettuce but it is another one of those plants they don;t like being shipped around. I often throw lots of extra plants in my compost cause I don't know what to do with it. I also grow aquarium plants too. Things like anubias nana, java fern, ludwigia repens, dwarf sagittaria, vallisneria etc.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

Thanks for your response. Michigan State University lists the following as invasive species:

Flowering Rush
Water Hyacinth
Hydrilla
European Frog-bit
Eurasian Water Milfoil
Curly Pondweed

Unfortunately, and ironically, some of them are exactly what you have! And I live at the edge of a large swamp, the other side is Lake Huron. Boy howdy would I be in some trouble :shock: Darn shame they have to be disposed of :(

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

There is actually south american frogbit as well, and I think there is some native to the US. I have 2 other tiny floating plants but no idea what they are. Yeah I keep mostly "weeds" cause they are easier to grow and fish don't care what plants you use, they use it all the same. In my aquariums since I keep native fish I try to stock with native plants. But the weeds I grow out in my pond since it is stocked with swamp fish. Some of the aquarium plants like the Ludwigia, valisneria, hornwort are native and can handle cold temps. The pondweed I have is not the curled kind. I think mine is sago pondweed or a similar species which is native to the US.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

I checked my Drs Foster and Smith catalog and there is a disclaimer of sorts in tiny print for certain plants that cannot be shipped to certain states. So it looks like I will be ordering their non-restricted varieties which look mighty pretty.

I'm actually not very picky about what's going in there as I'm attempting to provide some cover for the copper tree frogs, leopard frogs and others that reside on my property. Unless they have a specific request as to how they want their house decorated, they will get what they get :wink:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Try aquabid.com they got plants there and for much cheaper than Dr foster and smith. The shipping on Dr foster and smith will kill you. Other than that try to find a fish store local to you or even a pond store.

Return to “Water Gardening”