manofthetrees

pond design for koi

howdy yall,
I am in the process of designing a water feature in my backyard and would eventually like to get koi for it (4 is my plan but maybe more if possible) the "pond" will be 10 ft long ranging from 5 to 3 ft in width and 4 ft deap. would this size be suitable for koi to live and roughly how many would this be able to maintain. thanks a bunch for any info

keith

Mallotum

That size would be fine, although if you can go deeper that would be better.

The number you keep will really be down to the level of filtration you opt for.

manofthetrees

thanks , I don't think I will go more than 6 plus 4 foot is about the max I can go down in the area
I want it as natural as possible .I was planning (with fish or not)a waterfall into a lower rocky section and then a small bog garden haveing the pump inlet pulling water through the bog from a small pit and back into the deaper area, I will have well established water plants too before any fish are added.
would this suffice or will I need a fishtank like filter to supplement cleaning?
I am asking this now because I am running electical to the site for pumps and lighting and would like to get all needed wireing and waterlines in before the hardscape

Return to “Water Gardening”