amalgamate

Any disadvantages to a small pond in berry garden?

I'm debating on putting a (very) small pond in the middle of the garden. It would be almost 6 ft from the berries. Are there any disadvantages I need to consider before putting a water feature so close to the berries?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think so. I assume your small pond will be made with a liner? That should prevent any disturbance to the roots of the berry plants. The pond will draw birds, so if the berries are intended for you to eat, you might have a problem with the birds getting at them before you have a chance.

I have a small decorative pond right by my front porch, and the birds love it, both summer and winter. Since it rarely freezes here in the winter, it's one of their dependable water sources during periods when we don't get rain. :)

amalgamate

Thanks. There will be a plastic liner. I haven't had problems with birds in the berries in the 3 years since I've planted them...not so sure I want to send out an open invitation.

applestar
Mod

Hmm... that's what I was thinking too -- that any kind of water feature would attract birds that may then consider the berries to be a handy snack.... :roll:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

But you can also cover up your berries too. How big do you want the pond to be? And will you put any fish?

Return to “Water Gardening”