PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Mini Cattail ( typha minima)

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this plant? Would it do well in water depth of about 12-13 inches?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Anyone??

gbronner
Newly Registered

The problem is containment if you are going to put them in your pond be sure to check them yearly and re pot and thin as needed, Watch the roots they are very invasive.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I got some native cattail I took from a lake. And now it is in my pond. The original cattail died off but sent out new shoots from the roots. So far I have 2 healthy cattails now. But I am worried about spreading. I know they grow like weeds. The roots spreading is my worry. But the mini cattail never sprouted. I pulled it out today and found the tuber all rotted.

TheRipeTomato

PunkRotten wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with this plant? Would it do well in water depth of about 12-13 inches?
Miniature Cattails have a huge range of tolerances as far as water depth. They grow "best" in about 6-10 inches of water. They will grow high and dry, and they'll grow submerged about 20 inches down. Not ideal. If you want to submerge, get a latifolia or a laxmanii instead. Or even an angustifolia.

Return to “Water Gardening”