Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have a frog in my pond!

A frog has taken up residence in or near my front yard pond. I'm pretty sure it's a Pacific treefrog ... just a little guy. My, but he has a big voice, though! :lol:

His singing of froggy love songs woke me up at 2:30 this morning. I thought he'd quiet down around dawn, but no, he was still going strong. At 6:30 a.m., I went out front and walked around the pond. I wanted to see him, but I couldn't locate him. My presence, however, disturbed him sufficiently that he shut up long enough for me to get another 3 hours of sleep.

I mentioned his presence to the neighbor who lives on the other side of my house from where the pond is located. He said they heard him, too. Indoors ... with all their doors and windows closed. :shock: I envision Mr. Frog crooning his tunes through a tiny little frog-sized bull horn, set on extra-loud. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I'd better go locate a pair of ear plugs! :roll:

scoobdoob808

Oh how exciting. I hope I can have some frogs living in my pond, but most likely the dogs will scare all of them off if I try.

Congrats on your little friend.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

One day, I was returning from the garden, and I heard this strange, roar, from the pond, I thought what is that, so I walked over there, and realized, it was a whole frog band. Boy were they up and going.
I stood back and could see many frogs, of all different kinds. But, once they saw me, it was quiet, really quiet.

They sing us to sleep all summer, and it gets so that if the frogs get quiet you then, are awake and feeling like, what is wrong? Kind of like how oddly quiet the house sounds during a power outage.

StorageSmart2
Cool Member

Congrats on the new addition to your family. I remember when I was a child there was a small creek right near my house and we used to go frog hunting. Don't worry. It was strictly a "catch and release" program and we were very careful not to hurt them. :)

It's too bad that he won't let you get a little more sleep. With any luck he'll "settle down" after a little while. Might be looking for a mate right now.

Deb_NY

We have hundreds of frogs in our pond and thousands of tadpoles. They are all in the chorus in the spring and early summer. Some of the baby "Peepers" come all the way up to the house (in late evening) and stick themselves on the sliding glass doors.. just waiting for the moths to stop dancing; THEN "Wham...!" no more moth. I'm glad the butterflies aren't out at night for them to feast on.
The Blue Heron eats the frogs .. I just want to shew him away .. But he is so beautiful.

[img]https://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4306/dsc01293tds.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6449/dsc01273p.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Deb_NY on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

You must have a BIG pond. :D
Are they very noisy at night :?:

Deb_NY

Oh Yes..! and Yes.. :lol: It has quieted down for now though.. :cry:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have a friend who has goldfish tanks and a pond. He kept complaining about the tadpoles, I told him to send the bullfrogs tadpoles to me.
He did some checking, learned how to ship them.
Now he is selling tree frog tadpoles on ebay, and shipping several per week.
He now has some bullfrogs and is waiting to get me some tadpoles, since it was my idea to send them...
I would never have imagined that tree frog tadpoles would sell so well!

nauticalady
Newly Registered

A few years ago we ordered some tadpoles that grew into bullfrogs. We enjoyed them while they were here, but later learned that we weren't supposed to be bringing in nonnative species. So now we are frogless. Sigh...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wonderful! I keep hoping for some to come to either the little (artificial) pond near the house or the big pond at the bottom of the hill, but so far no luck.

Dmouse
Newly Registered

Hi all,

Well this is a good excuse to try and share a photo.

I thought we had a lot of frogs this passed Summer, Deb NY you have me beat lol!

Our frogs and toads like to jump into the window wells of our basement windows. Of course they get stuck if we don't rescue them. It was my daughter's mission this past year to have no frog or toad casualties. Consequently we had a pond full of the amphibians. I believe the highest count was 12....it's a small pond.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmouse65/5316688219/][img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5247/5316688219_791e190d6e_m.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmouse65/5316688219/]twelve little frogs[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/dmouse65/]Dmouse65[/url], on Flickr

Cheers!

Boomslang
Cool Member

If the little Tree frog continues to cause you sleepless nights you can take a decent flashlight and go out there when it is good and dark. Keep the light right on his eyes and use your hand or a small net and catch and relocate the little guy. I used to use this method with Bullfrogs and as long as you can keep your light steady and move slowly toward him, you can snatch him up fairly easily. :)

Return to “Water Gardening”